We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Queue beating passes

Morecambe, United...
Level Contributor
31 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Queue beating passes

In other cities we've visited we've bought various advance tickets/passes (eg London Pass, Omnia Vatican & Rome Card or just a direct pre-booking, such as at Eiffel Tower etc.) not to neccessarily make a cost saving but rather to avoid waiting in long queues to gain entry to museums and attractions as we've been limited for time. Our trip to Berlin will be no different in that we're there for 4 nights, so 3 full days plus an evening (on arrival) and a morning (on departure). We're visiting at the end of May, so my question is do the attractions in Berlin have significant queues at that time of year and if so which of the various passes on offer in Berlin allow you to skip the queues?

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,182 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Queue beating passes

It depends which attractions you mean, but nowhere in Berlin are you likely to encounter Paris-length queues.

You're likely to find queues at the TV Tower, but I'm not sure there is any way of avoiding them - though certain times of day are probably better than others. Note that the views from the top of the Berliner Dom, and from the Panoramapunkt in Potsdamer Platz, are just as good - as are the views from the Reichstag dome (more of that in a moment).

If you plan to visit the main museums, the only ones at which there would be queues are the Neues Museum and the Pergamon Museum. You can avoid them with the 3-day Museum Pass, which gives entry to all the State museums. At €24 the pass pays for itself in three or more visits.

visitberlin.de/en/article/museum-pass-berlin

You could also consider the Welcome Card plus Museum Island, which covers all your transport needs, and offers substantial discounts on 200-odd attractions, including some museums; also boat trips, and theatre, concert, and opera tickets. There are various Welcome Card options: information here:

http://www.bvg.de/index.php/en/17178/name/For+Visitors/article/77548.html

If you want to visit the Reichstag, you must book and register in advance.

www.bundestag.de/htdocs_e/visits/kupp.html

Edited: 25 February 2014, 17:24
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
26,752 posts
538 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Queue beating passes

That's the good thing about Berlin, you hardly have to worry about long lines to get into an attraction to see. One that you do have to arrive a little early for is the Berliner Unterwelten because you can not reserve that online you have to actually go to the place and get in line to get your tickets and also if you want to tour inside of Tempelhof airport you have to wait in line to get tickets for that as well the day you are visiting.

You do however have to reserve a tour in advance of the Reichstag building and also of the Dome as well. So if you want to see that I would say try to reserve that now.

Edited: 25 February 2014, 18:11
Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
1,797 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Queue beating passes

>but nowhere in Berlin are you likely to encounter Paris-length queues.

Except if there are special exhibitions or it is the last day of an exhibition or opening of a new attraction.

Than it can get really busy.

In 2004 for example the MoMA came to Berlin and the queuing itself all the way round Neue Nationalgalerie was a happening with people standing there for twelve hours at the peak. It even got a name in the media: the MoMa-Effect.

>You're likely to find queues at the TV Tower, but I'm not sure there is any way of avoiding them

There is, Alabastron. You can buy VIP, Fast View, Early Bird and Late Night Tickets online to avoid queuing: http://tv-turm.de/en/tickets-preise.php

>and also if you want to tour inside of Tempelhof airport you have to wait in line to get tickets for that as well the day you are visiting

No, you don't have to, Jordan. You can also buy tickets online: tempelhoferfreiheit.de/en/…

Morecambe, United...
Level Contributor
31 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Queue beating passes

Thanks for the replies, at least I'm clear now as to what I do and don't need eg no need here to pay over the odds for a Berlin Pass.

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,182 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Queue beating passes

No-one mentioned the Berlin Pass: it's a known rip-off, so don't consider it.

Consider the various options of the Welcome Card to see which of them, if any, meets your needs; and the Museum Pass if you want to visit several museums.

Leitstrahl, yes I know: I remember the queue for the Geschichte der Renaissance exhibition at the Bode Museum snaking around the corner and halfway down to the DHM two or three years ago. But this is a rarity. In Paris it happens every day at the Louvre and the Musée d'Orsay.

Morecambe, United...
Level Contributor
31 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Queue beating passes

No, but I mentioned the London Pass in my original post and they're all produced by the same people. Out of interest I found that to represent good value the first time we visited the city although we didn't get one the second time as it didn't suit what we were doing on that visit. I don't believe in dismissing any option out of hand, but would rather gather information to make the right decision.

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,182 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Queue beating passes

I was giving you information. If you don't believe me, you can search previous threads, on which the Berlin Pass has been thoroughly discussed.

You're welcome, by the way. :-)

Edited: 26 February 2014, 22:48
London, United...
Level Contributor
17,182 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Queue beating passes

Maybe I should explain the sarcasm, just in case it wasn't clear. I get awfully tired of people who ask questions and don't say "thank you" to those who answer them. We're all volunteers here, in case you weren't aware of that, and Leitstrahl and I both spent our time responding to you.

9. Re: Queue beating passes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 February 2015, 06:24