We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Proper casual dress in Central Europe

Missouri
Level Contributor
214 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Proper casual dress in Central Europe

We are travelling to Germany/Poland/Czech Republic in July and are in our 50's. We don't need to be "hip" but are just trying not to look like obvious American tourists. Without trying too hard, what is reasonable dress for sightseeing, eating at casual restaurants.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
16,044 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Proper casual dress in Central Europe

I think that choosing clothes based on where you are and what you are doing (sightseeing in a large city, dinner out in a city, sightseeing in a resort town, hiking in the alps...) is most important. That travel vest and shorts might be fine for a hike in the alps, but not in Berlin. Most of us wouldnt wear shorts and a travel vest touring around NY either.

Bedfordshire...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
10,125 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Proper casual dress in Central Europe

GCEK - looking at your photo, I would think that the last thing people would be worried about would be your shorts :)

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
18,315 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Proper casual dress in Central Europe

During the daytime in cities in July, t-shirts or ladies tops, jeans or khakis and a light jacket are standard, or a simple light summer dress for ladies if the weather is hot. At night, just a bit more dressy. As someone said above, Europeans tend not to wear a lot of bright colours, so go for neutral, earth-tones or black if you want to blend in. In the high summer, quite a few people wear white but it's not so good for traveling.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
29,457 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Proper casual dress in Central Europe

One thing, though: should you wish to go to the theatre/opera, certainly in the Czech Republic, it is the done thing to dress up a bit, i.e. suit and tie for men/evening dress for women.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
20,223 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Proper casual dress in Central Europe

I had written about shorts as a giveaway and then scrapped that part of my text in my previous post. I had also been going to say that older women in strappy tops in the city centre of Barcelona were likely to be British (especially in March or April) .

I agree with others, dressing for the context is important. Berin and Barcelona are cities, so sightseeing while being dressed as if for the beach will make you stand out (as tourists). Shorts are for high summer in your neighbourhood for Barcelonans, not for the city centre. And only high summer; wearing white also stops in September, even though it may still be very warm

It has to be said that berlin is much more a place where "anything goes", among locals dress is generally very casual, much more so than Munich (or Milan, or Barcelona)

Edited: 09 March 2014, 16:56
London, United...
Level Contributor
17,867 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Proper casual dress in Central Europe

>GCEK - looking at your photo, I would think that the last thing people would be worried about would be your shorts :)<

Coming from you (and your avatar) Pericoloso, that is extremely rich! :0) Thanks for the laugh.

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
5,133 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Proper casual dress in Central Europe

Pericoloso obviously knows what he is talking about. Are they from the same planet?

Bedfordshire...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
10,125 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Proper casual dress in Central Europe

Shhhh! We are trying to keep that quiet.

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
5,133 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Proper casual dress in Central Europe

oops, I'm sorry ...

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
29,457 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Proper casual dress in Central Europe

:) I didn't see the avatar, I'm on my intergalactic phone

As for anything goes in Munich or Berlin - if you go to the Englischer Garten in Munich, or Wannsee in Berlin. at the height of summer, it is more a case of 'nothing goes' ...