We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Proper casual dress in Central Europe

Missouri
Level Contributor
282 posts
33 reviews
Proper casual dress in Central Europe

We are travelling to Germany/Poland/Czech Republic in July and are in our 50's. We don't need to be "hip" but are just trying not to look like obvious American tourists. Without trying too hard, what is reasonable dress for sightseeing, eating at casual restaurants.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
17,986 posts
120 reviews
71. Re: Proper casual dress in Central Europe

It seems that people should just stay home. We must carry our passports, but you can't put it in any of your pockets because you might get pickpocketed or have your pocket slashed with a razor. But don't carry it in a bag because your bag may get stolen. The only safe way is to strap it to your torso under your clothing like you are part of a terrorist plot. Don't speak because apparently what Americans consider normal words mean nasty things to the Brits. And God help you if you CUT A POTATO WITH A KNIFE!!!! The world is fraught with danger and the opportunity to offend people's delicate sensibilities. So just stay home. It is the only safe place!!!! Oh wait - damn, I live on the Pacific Rim - earthquakes, tsunamis, and volcanos. And now we are running out of water. Screw it. I'm coming to Germany - throwing caution to the wind - passport in my cargo pants pocket, white tennis shoes on my feet, and all the bright colored clothing I can fit into my oversized carry-on that I will stuff into the overhead, but not before smacking at least 3 other passengers with it. I'm going to talk loud, demand ice in my Coke, and complain about those darned square pillows they have. Who is with me? :-)

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
31,035 posts
17 reviews
72. Re: Proper casual dress in Central Europe

Well said :)

Missouri
Level Contributor
282 posts
33 reviews
73. Re: Proper casual dress in Central Europe

Actually travel anywhere requires precautions without paranoia. I appreciated the security of a money belt or being told to "hug my backpack" in the Rome subway (by the employees) and my wife and I keeping a copy of each other's passports. That didn't mean I didn't enjoy my trip to Paris and Rome- loved it and didn't have a story that starts with "other than having $500 stolen right out of my pocket , it was fun". I have had more problems in New York with that sort of thing! As far as customs, I don't know about potatoes but I do like making an effort to absorb the local culture and walk around like one of the crowd, hang at some places frequented by locals, occasionally take in restaurants or transportation that are made up of mostly residents. To me it is hard to be a student of other cultures if you travel above, around and through them without stopping on the way. So I like packing light, taking buses, trains, bikes, and walking rather than all taxis, tour buses, and private tours. Just me. I like the subways rather than taxis and hole-int-the-wall pizza dives in New York too.

Seattle area
Level Contributor
1,525 posts
15 reviews
74. Re: Proper casual dress in Central Europe

Thank you, november-moon--well done! ... :-)

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
19,734 posts
84 reviews
75. Re: Proper casual dress in Central Europe

+1 for Novermber moon! ... and can I complain about the single quilts (2 of them) on a double bed too???

and as for hiding your valuables - pick-pocket gangs know that if they tug at the wrong pocket, the first unconscious move a potential target makes is to put their hand EXACTLY where the valuables are stashed - you have just told them where to hit when they want to pick-pocket you for real.

Bedfordshire...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
12,228 posts
114 reviews
76. Re: Proper casual dress in Central Europe

November - are you insane. ICE IN YOUR COKE? You can't drink the water in Europe!!

If you are happy telling people you are wearing a vagina pack, that's fine 😃

As has been said already, it's not what you wear, it's how you conduct yourself.

Just take the normal safety precautions and you will be fine, especially if you shout all the time 😜

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
31,035 posts
17 reviews
77. Re: Proper casual dress in Central Europe

... and don't mention the square pillows :)

78. Re: Proper casual dress in Central Europe

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 March 2015, 04:27