We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Berlin for a week?Or not?

Athens, Greece
4 posts
Save Topic
Berlin for a week?Or not?

Hi!We're arriving in Berlin Sunday 20th July and leaving on 27th.We'll practically have 6,5 days since we arrive quite late.At first we thought we should spend all the time in Berlin.But now i'm thinking if it's better to split our time and spend 2 nights in either Hamburg or Dresden.While in Berlin we are not interested for day trips,apart maybe from Potsdam.What do you think?

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
5,141 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Berlin for a week?Or not?

Don't split your time. There is so much to see in Berlin that you will easily fill your time and enjoy not being rushed, take your time for a side trip to Potsdam and maybe - on a hot day - slip in a day on the beach (or a boat trip) at Wannsee - Berlin's bath tub.

Edited: 09 March 2014, 08:54
Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
19,594 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Berlin for a week?Or not?

I agree, 6 and a half days isn't all that long for Berlin. There's enough in Potsdam for more than a day-trip but in a week's stay most people would go one day probably.

The boat trips are great; there's a short one in central Berlin which is interesting and several from Wannsee. Stern und Kreis is the company that offers more options. I went on one last summer to Potsdam and back going past lots of palaces, Peacock Island etc.etc After long days sightseeing on foot, it's a nice way to relax and see something new

Some passengers got off in Potsdam; you can do that and take a later boat back to Wannsee (although the quicker way is by regional train or S_Bahn)

Edited: 09 March 2014, 09:09
London, United...
Level Contributor
16,930 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Berlin for a week?Or not?

You were right the first time. A week isn't a long time in Berlin, especially if the weather is nice, which it probably will be. There are so many lovely things to do outdoors (see Lynda's post) that you'll find it hard to squeeze in visits to museums and other places of interest. So do stick to your original plan of spending a week in Berlin, and save other places for future visits.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
25,888 posts
524 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Berlin for a week?Or not?

You can easily fill up a week in Berlin and the outskirts, but a lot depends on your particular interests. If you opt for Hamburg is it simply to just go there or do you have some things to see and do there?

Athens, Greece
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Berlin for a week?Or not?

Thank you all for your replies.We'll stay in Berlin and include 1-2 day trips!

@jordansbulls No,we don't have something specific in mind to do in Hamburg.I've just heard nice things and since it's close i thought maybe we should give it a try.But we'll save it for a next trip!

scotland
Level Contributor
93 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Berlin for a week?Or not?

Hi just to say 6 days in Berlin is nothing i went out there in November for 4 days , my first holiday on my own in 28 years after loosing my wife in May. There was so much to do and see i went back again 2 weeks ago for 4 days and am trying to work out how to get time off work to go back again,

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
5,738 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Berlin for a week?Or not?

I spend two full weeks in Berlin every summer and there's still TONS I've not seen. if you want to get out of the city for a day, Potsdam, Leipzig and Schwerin are all good day trips.

Level Contributor
57 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Berlin for a week?Or not?

Berlin is a massive city so don't spilt your time. There is so much to see and do that you would even spend longer.

9. Re: Berlin for a week?Or not?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 March 2015, 04:50