We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Berlin for the first time - what to see and where to stay!

Which Berlin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Mission Viejo...
13 posts
Save Topic
Berlin for the first time - what to see and where to stay!

This is going to be my first time going to Berlin in September. I was wondering if you guys could give me some insight of what to do and where to stay. Any suggestions and recommendations would be super helpful. I'm 26 years old going with my boyfriend so looking for some nightlife as well as inexpensive hostels/hotels. Thanks in advance!

Ireland
Level Contributor
391 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Berlin for the first time - what to see and where to stay!

I have been to Berlin twice in october/november. the second time we stayed there we stayed in the Park Inn by Radison in alexanderplatz. Location wise it was amazing. It is located in East Berlin & there were undergrounds plus the main train station all outside the hotel.

We loved it.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
24,478 posts
523 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Berlin for the first time - what to see and where to stay!

If you have no knowledge of Berlin at all or even no idea of where to start, I would suggest to do a walking tour from either:

Original Berlin Tours (http://www.berlinwalks.de/public/index/publictour/id/Discover )

berlinwalks.de/public/…Sachsenhausen

or

Insider Tours (insidertour.com/tours.php/cat/27/id/40/title…)

insidertour.com/tours.php/cat/27/id/43/title…

3. Re: Berlin for the first time - what to see and where to stay!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 14 March 2014, 07:05
Frankfurt
Destination Expert
for Frankfurt
Level Contributor
5,592 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Berlin for the first time - what to see and where to stay!

Look up at the top of your screen, and there you will find a green bar. Click on Things to Do, to find attractions and tours, click on hotels to find hotels, etc. On the right hand side of your screen, near the top, are common questions about Berlin, that you can also read. You might want to check out some guidebooks from your library or purchase one. Lonely Planet or Rick Steves.

Going on a walking tour or bike tour is highly recommended. For 12-15 € you get a good orientation to the city (do it your first day) as well as a good background to the history of Berlin. I like Insider Tours, but the other companies mentioned are also good.

I like using www.hrs.com to find hotels, but there are other search engines you can use too. Budget hotels in Berlin are not difficult to find. I would rather stay in a Motel One for 59 € per night than a hostel dorm room. There are also cheap pensions to choose from too, some going for less than 50 € per night.

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
1,797 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Berlin for the first time - what to see and where to stay!

If you are a first-timer, I think you'd be good if you stay within the triangle of Torstrasse, Karl-Liebknecht-Strasse and Oranienburger Strasse/ Spandauer Strasse in Mitte.

You'll find plenty of restaurants and bars, but not a many clubs there and will be close to the main sights (for the daytime). There are several hostels there as well, like the Generator Berlin Mitte or the Circus Hostel.

For clublife you could just take the S-Bahn from Hackescher Markt or Alexanderplatz to Ostbahnhof or Warschauer Strasse in Friedrichshain. Most of the clubs in Friedrichshain-Kreuzberg are located in the area between Schillingbruecke and Oberbaumbruecke next to the river and around Schlesiches Tor/ Schlesische Strasse in Kreuzberg.

You'll find several restaurants and bars there as well and of course you could also stay in a hostel in that area like the Eastern Comfort Hostelboat, which is located next to Oberbaumbruecke and East Side Gallery. So if you're not into sightseeing and museums, this might be the better option then.

Gosport, United...
Level Contributor
44 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Berlin for the first time - what to see and where to stay!

Thanks for the tips leitstrahl. I am going for a long weekend and am on a semi-budget with a group of friends (couples) so wanted to know which area specifically has decent bars/restaurants that are welcoming of tourists but not paying tourist prices.

We are staying in an apartment in central Auguststrasse, but will be travelling around the main triangle like you say. Also if you know any areas to avoid (for couples) that would be great.

Thanks in advance

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
24,478 posts
523 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Berlin for the first time - what to see and where to stay!

I stayed at the TRYP Berlin Mitte last September and it was excellent and inexpensive for a 4 star hotel.

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
1,797 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Berlin for the first time - what to see and where to stay!

Berlin is a pretty safe city, Feary.

You'll be fine in the area where your apartment is located and there aren't really no go areas in the city. You should avoid Görlitzer Park in Kreuzberg at night though, because chances are high that you get robbed and Alexanderplatz or Kottbusser Tor aren't the best places to be at night.

If you're travelling in a group, I think you won't get into trouble anyway, unless you'd start it.

But your chances of getting into a club as a group, especially when a little drunk, will certainly shrink... That's no difference to Portsmouth, I guess.

9. Re: Berlin for the first time - what to see and where to stay!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 March 2015, 13:20