We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pergamon museum ticket and itinerary advice please

cambridgeshire
Level Contributor
259 posts
Save Topic
Pergamon museum ticket and itinerary advice please

We are 2 adults and 12 yrs old girl will visit Berlin for the first time, we arrive on Wednesday afternoon and leaving on Sunday evening, staying at a hotel in the city centre (east berlin)

Could you please advise if this itinerary is doable?

- Wednesday, evening will go to Reichstag, already booked

- Thursday, pergamon museum (plan on Thursday as it might not as busy as at the weekend, DDR, Berlin Dom, maybe History museum

Which type of Pergamon ticket shall we buy on line (admission or area tickets, what’s the difference)?

- Friday, Berlin tour in the morning, topography of terror, Kaiser Willem church, KaDeWe, Berlin Philharmonic building

- Saturday, Memorial of Berlin wall, palace of tear and ??

- Sunday, Sachsenhausen Concentration Camp (we will be leaving at 10pm).Shall we book a tour for this or is it easy enough to do it ourselves?

Many thanks for your advice

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,158 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pergamon museum ticket and itinerary advice please

- Wednesday, evening will go to Reichstag, already booked

No problem.

- Thursday, pergamon museum (plan on Thursday as it might not as busy as at the weekend, DDR, Berlin Dom, maybe History museum

You may find this a bit much. Your daughter will enjoy the DDR Museum and want to stay for a couple of hours, and the historical museum is enormous. You can be selective, but it's a daunting, tiring museum even so, and however selective you are it needs plenty of time. The Dom will be tiring too if you want to do the whole tour. To try to do all this after the Pergamon Museum, also huge, would be be a tall order. It would be too tall for me. :0)

Which type of Pergamon ticket shall we buy on line (admission or area tickets, what’s the difference)?

As long as you get to the Pergamon a little before opening time at 10 am, there is no need to book in advance.

- Friday, Berlin tour in the morning, topography of terror, Kaiser Willem church, KaDeWe, Berlin Philharmonic building

The Insider and Berlin Walks tours start at 10.30 and take at least four hours. You'll need lunch and a rest afterwards. I don't think you can manage the church, the KaDeWe, and the Topography of Terror (which needs several hours) in the late afternoon. If you want to see the Topography of Terror, forget the KaDeWe and the church. Otherwise, leave the Topography of Terror for another visit.

- Saturday, Memorial of Berlin wall, palace of tears and ??

Easy. Maybe you could fit the KaDeWe in here, in the afternoon.

- Sunday, Sachsenhausen Concentration Camp (we will be leaving at 10pm).Shall we book a tour for this or is it easy enough to do it ourselves?

The audio guide at the site is said to be very good (I've not experienced it). The tours are good too. The Insider Tour is an excellent introduction - the Berlin Walks your is too, both firms employ knowledgeable guides - and on a first visit, that's what I would do. It's well worth while.

My only other suggestion is to split your museum visits. The DDR Museum is small, but jam-packed with things to see and read and much of it is interactive; and the other two are enormous. I wouldn't try to see them all in one day.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
5,801 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pergamon museum ticket and itinerary advice please

I agree with Alabastron's advice; Friday is just too packed. I'd move KaDeWe and the Kaiser Wilhelm church to Saturday - which is actually quite an "empty" day as neither the Wall Memorial (I assume you mean Bernauer Strasse) and the Palace of Tears should take more than 90 minutes.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
1,589 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pergamon museum ticket and itinerary advice please

The DDR Museum is very small. If you can do it first thing that is what I would recommend . It is very hands on so you need to have some room to move and it gets very busy. It is also open until 7 or 8 PM I believe so you might think about doing it late in the day or early evening.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
5,801 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pergamon museum ticket and itinerary advice please

It's open till 22:00, and was expanded a couple of years ago. Last time I went it took me a good 2 hours.

cambridgeshire
Level Contributor
259 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Pergamon museum ticket and itinerary advice please

Many thanks for your inputs, they are much appreciated. More advice please.

Updated itinerary

Wed - take a taxi from Schonefeld to hotel. Check in, evening meal, Reichstag.

Thursday - Pergamon museum in the morning, Berlin Philharmonic, Sony Centre, Kaiser Wilhelm church, KaDeWe etc afterwards

Friday - Berlin tour, topography of terror

Saturday, Memorial of Berlin wall (Bernauer Strasse), palace of tears and DDR, Berlin Dom

Sunday - Sachsenhausen Concentration Camp, evening meal, and then take train to airport (ABC ticket?)

Questions:

Taxi from airport to hotel – do we need to book private taxi or is it easy to hail one from the airport? How much to Mandelshon station?

Public transport - Daily tickets or Welcome card or City tour Card? AB or ABC (for Sunday). I am a bit confused regarding card for 12 yrs old. Does she need one? Where do we get discount for using welcome card/city tour card?

Anything else we miss?

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
5,801 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pergamon museum ticket and itinerary advice please

That's a lot more manageable!

A taxi from SXF will cost around €40, depending on where you're going; the train will cost the adults €3.20 each. What is the name/address of the hotel? We could give precise directions.

The 72-hour Welcome Card for Berlin AB would see you through Thurs-Saturday inclusive, but whether it makes sense for you will depend entirely on if you'll use the discounts. There's a supplement for discounts at Museum Island, and several of the other things you're planning on doing are free anyway. You - you alone - will need to do the maths.

Travel: On Wednesday and Sunday you'll need a ticket valid for Berlin ABC. A single ticket is valid for 2 hours in one direction and changes are permitted. Depending on how much else you're going to travel after arrival, a Day Ticket (about €7) may make more sense. Get a day ticket for Sunday and you're covered for both Sachsenhausen and SXF. For the other days, you need Berlin AB. Your daughter will qualify for the Reduced Tariff (Ermäßigungstarif)- only those under 6 travel free.

cambridgeshire
Level Contributor
259 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Pergamon museum ticket and itinerary advice please

darrenmcc, thanks for your advice. our hotel is scandic. What do you think about transportation from schonefeld to this place? We are thinking about taking taxi to save the time, arriving 5pm. is this rush hours in Berlin? Do you think it's better to take public transport/train? If so, we need ABC tickets for our first day. Do you think it's better to buy 5 days ABC tickets and my child doesn't have to pay? Appreciate your advice.

8. Re: Pergamon museum ticket and itinerary advice please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 March 2015, 05:15