We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How safe is Berlin for non-white visitors?

Which Berlin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Doha
Level Contributor
6 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
How safe is Berlin for non-white visitors?

I'm Filipino but my features are more Oriental-like than brown. I've been to Germany before but it was only for a brief period (in Munich). My experience was okay--not the best, not the worst. However, I'm a little worried about Berlin because a number of my friends have told me horror stories about being harassed and almost getting into fights with the locals. I am a third culture kid, 22 years of age, and have a diverse group of friends from all over the world. So far, it seems most of my American friends have had no problems when they went. This one guy, however, had major issues as he was followed, had a door slammed into his face upon trying to enter a diner, and got into a minor physical altercation with someone on the street all because he was black. I've had my share of negative experiences in Munich, simply because I was non-white but it wasn't as serious as the aforementioned.

I know Berlin is a big place, so there are bound to be good and bad areas. Are there any places I should avoid that are close to the areas frequented by tourists? I'm going for business-like purposes but will be doing some exploring in my last two days of visit.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
23,598 posts
519 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How safe is Berlin for non-white visitors?

You shouldn't have any problems especially if you are going mainly to see attractions and activities.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
5,550 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How safe is Berlin for non-white visitors?

Berlin is much more racially-diverse than it was - when I first started going there it was quite rare to see black people. There is a very large Turkish community, as well as Chinese and Vietnamese communities. As a tourist you are highly unlikely to be going to the areas on the outskirts which have a reputation for racial tension - and even then that's a little overblown these days. I really wouldn't be too concerned.

Doha
Level Contributor
6 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How safe is Berlin for non-white visitors?

Thanks a lot. Appreciate it.

4. Re: How safe is Berlin for non-white visitors?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 01 April 2014, 22:05
Seattle area
Level Contributor
1,525 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How safe is Berlin for non-white visitors?

The question was reasonable as he described his own ethnic background and his experiences in Munich. I am always amazed at angry or snarky responses to legitimate questions posted here about safety, etc. in Germany. It seems to be taken personally by some who respond on this forum that anyone should even ask such questions. It is a query, not an accusation, and deserves a reasonable answer, not accusations of racism aimed AT the OP, who describes himself as non-white...so how can that be?

Edited: 01 April 2014, 21:43
Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
16,991 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How safe is Berlin for non-white visitors?

Well, history speaks for itself and there HAVE, in the not-too-distant past, been a number of violent incidents directed against non-white people, for instance the Thai-German boy beaten to death in Alexanderplatz in 2012, by, as it turned out, a gang of Turkish men. Many of these incidents seem to involve large quantities of alcohol.

And there are still groups around who are against immigrants, or hate foreigners, or even target tourists. But millions of people with all shades of skin colour and kinds of physiogomy visit Berlin peacefully every year. So just be on your guard as you would be in any large city, avoid bars full of drunk skinheads, and maybe post midnight public transportation where there's any chance you might be alone with some kind of inebriated malcontents.

7. Re: How safe is Berlin for non-white visitors?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 03 April 2014, 03:35
Edited: 03 April 2014, 03:35
Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
1,797 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How safe is Berlin for non-white visitors?

Lindakoslovski, what are you talking about?

Frankfurt
Destination Expert
for Frankfurt
Level Contributor
5,561 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How safe is Berlin for non-white visitors?

lindakoslovski is just another troll.

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
1,797 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How safe is Berlin for non-white visitors?

That's what I thought, reading her/ his post in the Frankfurt forum...