We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Museum island

Which Berlin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Topic
Museum island

My husband & I are planning on visiting the Pergamon & Neues Museums the end of May. We have the berlin pass, but I heard we need to also reserve time slots. Is this possible online? The websites for these museum are not very helpful.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
36,186 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Museum island

Berlin Pass? Is an overpriced bundle of other existing Berlin offers sold by a London based company.

Note that in Berlin the name "Berlin Pass" is already used for a card (which gives also various benefits) for residents living on public welfare.

One thing in your bundle is a Museumpass Berlin.

At the time slot ticket shop of the Pergamon Museum

https:/…

select after you have picked your time slot the number of tickets (Anzahl der Karten) of the ticket type "Pergamonmuseum | Eintritt frei mit Museumspass Berlin 0,00 EUR" (Pergamon Museum | free entracne with a Museumpass Berlin 0,00 EUR).

ditto Neues Museum

https:/…

SMB is announcing since some time a new ticket shop. Hopefully not just partly translated into English as the current one.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
22,882 posts
505 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Museum island

Did you order the Berlin Pass online? I sure hope not, the cost is more than double of the Berlin WelcomeCard Museum Pass.

3 Day Adult Berlin Pass €83.70 --> www.berlinpass.com/berlin-pass-prices.php

whereas the

Berlin WelcomeCard Museum Island 2014 €38.50

https://shop.visitberlin.de/…

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Museum island

Thank you for the information! I figured it was a toss up on whether it would save me anything. The reason I bought them was because I heard some of the lines could be bad, like checkpoint charlie museum & the Pergamon museum. Since we have limited time in berlin, I wanted to take advantage of the skip the line feature. Next time I'll probably just get the museum pass.

London, United...
Level Contributor
15,877 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Museum island

Next time ask on the forum (of wherever you are planning to travel) first. :0) There are so many options for travel passes and discounts in Berlin that it can be confusing to wade through them, but the difference in costs and in savings can be considerable.

The only museum you really have to worry about is the Neues Museum: you'll definitely need a time slot. If you arrive a little before opening time at the Pergamon Museum, you should be able to get in quickly, without standing in line. Early is a good time to go: it's quite an experience to stand in the almost-empty Pergamon Altar hall.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Museum island

I reserved time slots for the Pergamon & Neues Museums, but I'm worried that I might have spaced them a little far apart. Do they ever let anyone in before their time slots? Also, do I need to book any other time slots? I'm not sure how long the line gets for the checkpoint charlie museum. Thanks again for the helpful information!

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
22,882 posts
505 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Museum island

I went to the Pergamon Museum and there was no reservation that I had to make for a certain time in order to see the museum.

London, United...
Level Contributor
15,877 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Museum island

Kelli G, you've booked time slots at the only museums at which time slots are ever needed (and they aren't always needed: this is only an issue at peak tourist times) so do stop worrying about lines. There are no lines, except at the ticket booth for the Neues Museum, and that only occasionally (and it doesn't concern you as you've booked your slot).

Both the Neues Museum and the Pergamon Museum are enormous, and needs lots of time even to whiz around quickly, so you probably haven't booked your slots too far apart. And if you have time on your hands in between your visits (I'm sure you won't) just go outside and walk around and look at all the other beautiful museum buildings.

If it's lunch time or tea time or break time, head to the Bode Museum's lovely café-restaurant and relax. All five museums have cafés: the Bode Museum's is the best, the Pergamon's the worst (unless they've redone it since my last visit 18 months ago). The Neues Museum's is a bit tiny for the number of visitors it has to cater for. The Altes Museum and the Alte Nationalgalerie both have small, pleasant cafés.

I don't think you'll find long lines at Checkpoint Charlie. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Edited: 25 April 2014, 08:38
Philadelphia
Level Contributor
17 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Museum island

I am in Berlin now. Bought a three day Museum pass. Waited in line at the Pergammon for 30 minutes yesterday before I got in at 6 ( museum closes at 8). Needed more time so went online and booked a free reservation for the following day. Had it sent to my iPad via email and my hotel told me to forward the email to them and they printed out the pass for me. The museums here are fabulous and I found that the Museum pass is a great bargain.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
22,882 posts
505 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Museum island

@ ltbdiver,

How much more time did you spend at the Pergamon the next day if you spent 2 hours the first day there?

10. Re: Museum island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 April 2015, 05:15