We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Berlin-Munich Ice Train, Connections in Kassel & Frankfurt

Rosario, Argentina
5 posts
Save Topic
Berlin-Munich Ice Train, Connections in Kassel & Frankfurt

Hi,

I booked a train ticket to go from Berlin to Munich this summer. The itinerary that I booked has two connections, one in Kassel and another one in Frankfurt. This connections are on a tight timetable, but given that both train stations seems relatively small, I'm not concerned about that (at least not too concerned).

My question is, is it possible for an ICE train to change number after arriving a station? I ask this because all of the three segments of my travel have different numbers (e.g. ICE 878, ICE 896, ICE 913) but it may be the case that I do not need to change train.

Has anyone done this trip before?

Thanks!

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
9,631 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Berlin-Munich Ice Train, Connections in Kassel & Frankfurt

You could have booked a direct train without changes on a shorter route - there are direct connections and there are many more with just one change.

However, these are indeed three different trains and you have to do two changes. Unnecessary inconvenience. The DB booking system does not even show me any connection with two changes!

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
37,366 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Berlin-Munich Ice Train, Connections in Kassel & Frankfurt

When will you travel? Date and departure time from Berlin. This is a totally uncommon route and places to change trains for a trip from Berlin to Munich. The only reason for this coming in my mind would be that the more direct route will be closed due track works or so.

Rosario, Argentina
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Berlin-Munich Ice Train, Connections in Kassel & Frankfurt

We are leaving Berlin on the 8th of July, at 19:34. There was also a direct train, but both the schedule and price of that train was more inconvinient for us than this.

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
9,631 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Berlin-Munich Ice Train, Connections in Kassel & Frankfurt

Strange connection - however I get different train numbers so I am not sure if I see the same connection. I am really scratching my head at the route this night train (the one from Frankfurt) takes. Now that's a weird train. Do not expect catching any sleep with the thing stopping every 15-30 minutes. Well there are reasons why savings fares are still available...

By the way, there is a CNL, a direct one and a real night train hence with more comfort, departing Berlin 21.04 with cheap fares still shown...

Rosario, Argentina
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Berlin-Munich Ice Train, Connections in Kassel & Frankfurt

The train numbers were just an example, the actual numbers are 697, 887 & 619. I don't see which stops it makes, but I didn't know that it stopped so often. Hopefully I will be tired and able to sleep a bit, and I'm more concerned about missing a connection than not sleeping.

We'll see how it goes, the fare was far more cheaper in the train we booked. thanks for the help anyway!

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
37,366 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Berlin-Munich Ice Train, Connections in Kassel & Frankfurt

The direct night train Berlin Hbf dep 21:04 München Hbf arr 07:05 would be more relaxing.

The ICE trains involved are rather exotic train runs taking place only at a few days.

Kassel won't be problematic. The transfer time there for the train from Berlin seems to be coordinated with the ICE 887 train coming from Hamburg you will take from Kassel to Frankfurt.

Frankfurt may get problematic if your train from Kassel is late.

First - Frankfurt Hbf is anything but not a relatively small train station.

…wikipedia.org/wiki/…29_Hauptbahnhof

Secondly the 00:05 Munich bound train may not wait for the Hamburg - Kassel - Frankfurt - Wiesbaden train if it is late. As Kassel - Frankfurt - Munich is an unusual routing. In case the train from Kassel on is late get in contact with the conductor and tell him/her that you have to get the train at 00:05 to Munich.

Edited: 21 April 2014, 20:19
Rosario, Argentina
5 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Berlin-Munich Ice Train, Connections in Kassel & Frankfurt

Thanks for this answer, I'll try to get in touch with the conductor if I see a delay. Thanks!

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
25,997 posts
535 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Berlin-Munich Ice Train, Connections in Kassel & Frankfurt

I assume you are doing this for the experience of being on the train in another country, if so then enjoy.

Rosario, Argentina
5 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Berlin-Munich Ice Train, Connections in Kassel & Frankfurt

I don't know if any of you care, but just for future reference.

I made a mistake and thought that the trip was more convinient, but the direct City Night Line was the best option. I already canceled the trip with the weird connections and booked the train that leaves at around 9pm and goes straight to Munich.

Thanks for all of your help, and for scaring me into finding out more about the trip and making the right call.

Cheers!

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
9,631 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Berlin-Munich Ice Train, Connections in Kassel & Frankfurt

Sounds like you made the right choice! Have a great trip!