We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Zoologischer Garten or Tierpark Berlin

Antwerp, Belgium
2 posts
Save Topic
Zoologischer Garten or Tierpark Berlin

Dear all,

We will be visiting Berlin @ the end of next month & want to visit a Zoo, unfortunately we only have room for one of the 2 Zoo’s listed above.

Does anyone of you know which one is the most interesting one to visit?

Thank you for your replies,

Kind regards,

Veronique

Mentioned in this post
Berlin
Berlin
Germany
Birmingham, UK
Level Contributor
614 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Zoologischer Garten or Tierpark Berlin

Hey Veronique, give me your interests animal wise and I will advise you. I'm a zoo freak and always visit zoos on my hoildays, and I've done both Berlin zoos a number of times.

Mentioned in this post
Berlin
Berlin
Germany
Bautzen, Germany
Level Contributor
815 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Zoologischer Garten or Tierpark Berlin

If you want to want to see many animals in a short time see the zoo. If you want to spend a relaxing afternoon in a big *park* with animals visit the Tierpark. Children usually prefer the zoo.

Mentioned in this post
Tierpark
Tierpark
706 Reviews
Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
89 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Zoologischer Garten or Tierpark Berlin

I have the same question..and is it possible to visit both (aquarium and zoologischer )

Level Contributor
89 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Zoologischer Garten or Tierpark Berlin

I have the same question..and is it possible to visit both (aquarium and zoologischer )

at what time the zoologischer and tierpark close?

London, United...
Level Contributor
19,580 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Zoologischer Garten or Tierpark Berlin

Veronique, Chizlit will give you the lowdown on the animals, but for an outing, I'd say the Tierpark wins hands down. It is much, much bigger than the Berlin Zoo, there is more space for the visitors and for most of the animals (with the exception of the big cats quarters which are a scandal) and as a bonus there is the beautiful Schloss Friedrichsfelde to visit (the park was the schlosspark before it became a zoo.

Few tourists go to the Tierpark, so it's also a nice opportunity to see East Berliners at their leisure. There are nice touches, like the wooden wagons to pull children around (big kids enjoy pulling little kids). An altogether delightful place.

Mentioned in this post
Tierpark
Tierpark
706 Reviews
Berlin, Germany
Berlin
Berlin
Germany
Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
560 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Zoologischer Garten or Tierpark Berlin

Yes, the big cats' quarters are a complete disgrace. Totally scandalous.

'And the monkeys asked him, "What are MENAGERIES?" Then Chee-Chee explained to them that menageries were places in the Land of the White Men, where animals were put in cages for people to come and look at. And the monkeys were very shocked and said to one another, "These Men are like thoughtless young ones—stupid and easily amused. Sh! It is a prison he means..." '

Birmingham, UK
Level Contributor
614 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Zoologischer Garten or Tierpark Berlin

@nestofun, the zoo and the aquarium are on the same site so yes you can visit both, but you pay extra for admission if you want to do both.

Antwerp, Belgium
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Zoologischer Garten or Tierpark Berlin

Hi, Thank you so much for all the replies, it’s a great help :-) I’m from Belgium & here we have also a lot of nice zoo’s around.. Actually I prefer a nice environment over the “animals in cages” kind of feeling.. But I do want to see big animals & lots of different kind of species.. I never saw a hyena & would like to see a polar bear once again.. We also love to take pictures, so hopefully the animals are not too far away in the Tiergarten? Could any of you give me an indication of the time we need in both zoo’s? I suppose the Zoo is faster than the Tiergarten? Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Belgium
Belgium
Europe
London, United...
Level Contributor
19,580 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Zoologischer Garten or Tierpark Berlin

How long is a piece of string? The answer - as to so many questions - is: It Depends.

If you're enjoying yourself, either zoo could keep you occupied, interested, and happy all day. In the Tierpark you have much longer walks between the various animal sites. I spent a full morning there - 3-4 hours - and didn't see more than half of it. If your time is limited, choose the Berlin Zoo, which is smaller and easier to get around quickly.

Both zoos have outdoor space for the animals - neither is all "animals in cages". In the Tierpark most of them have more space. But in the Berlin Zoo on New Year's Day 2011 I watched the elephants playing in the snow .

Edited: 25 April 2014, 08:27
Mentioned in this post
Berlin
Berlin
Germany
Tierpark
Tierpark
706 Reviews
Berlin, Germany
Bautzen, Germany
Level Contributor
815 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Zoologischer Garten or Tierpark Berlin

>>>>I suppose the Zoo is faster than the Tiergarten?<<<<

Don't confuse Tierpark and Tiergarten. Tiergarten is the huge park to the west of the Brandenburg Gate. The zoo is on the western side of Tiergarten. The Tierpark, the second zoo, is in Lichtenberg, a borough of East Berlin.

Mentioned in this post
Tierpark
Tierpark
706 Reviews
Berlin, Germany
Tiergarten
Tiergarten
7,303 Reviews
Berlin, Germany
Brandenburg Gate
Brandenburg Gate
37,188 Reviews