We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Why is Berlin Mitte the best choice for hotel?

Which Berlin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Canada
Level Contributor
487 posts
213 reviews
Save Topic
Why is Berlin Mitte the best choice for hotel?

Just wondering - I've seen Berlin Mitte recommended as the best part of town to stay in. My husband and I will be in Berlin for four nights this summer. It's my first trip there and I'm a bit overwhelmed by all the hotel choices. I'd love to hear why Mitte is a great choice. (As way of comparison, I'm also considering a hotel in Prenzlauer Berg.) Thanks for your help!

Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
7,389 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Why is Berlin Mitte the best choice for hotel?

The parts of Mitte that are mostly suggested are close to the major tourist sites and also have a good selection of bars and restaurants around them. Personaly I prefer the western side of the city esp the area around Savigny Platz /Uhlandstrasse. It is much lesss touristy and far more buildings from pre WW2 are to be seen.

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
410 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Why is Berlin Mitte the best choice for hotel?

It certainly had a lot to do around it, especially at the tail end of the day. I enjoyed that area, though many great places to stay in Berlin.

London, United...
Level Contributor
16,683 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Why is Berlin Mitte the best choice for hotel?

Because, depending on which part of Mitte you stay in, you would be closest to most of the things that most first-time tourists expect to see and do. But parts of Prenzlauerberg are almost as convenient - it depends on the location of the hotel or apartment you choose. It's true that the area mentioned by bongoblog is less touristy - but you're a tourist, so perhaps you shouldn't be bothered about that?

There are a great many nice areas to stay in in Berlin, once you know the city well. But for a three-day, first visit, I don't think Mitte has much competition. If it were me, I would want to spent as little time as possible getting to the museums, and the WWII and Berlin Wall sites, and staying in Charlottenburg would mean journeys of up to half an hour each way, each day, mostly underground.

Consider Hackescher Markt (Adina Apart-Hotel) Rosenthaler Platz (Circus Hotel and apartments) and Alexanderplatz (various hotel possibilities).

Edited: 07 May 2014, 06:28
Canada
Level Contributor
487 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Why is Berlin Mitte the best choice for hotel?

Thanks to all of you for your excellent suggestions. I especially appreciate Alabastron's comments. Yes, on my first visit to a city, I think it makes most sense to stay close to the museums and sites I want to see, especially when they're closely concentrated. A subsequent visit is often a good time to try other areas.

To your helpful hotel suggestions, I'd also add Casa Camper, Hotel de Rome or Ackselhaus (in Prenzlauer Berg). Do you think I'd find these locations equally handy?

Thank you!

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Why is Berlin Mitte the best choice for hotel?

Hi... I will be staying in Mitte for four days in early June? So, would we really need the transport pass, if all major tourist attractions are that nearby? or should we then take the 48 hour welcome card for last 2 days (out of 4) to cover far off sites? Is postdam really worth it?

Thank you...

Edited: 07 May 2014, 12:36
London, United...
Level Contributor
16,683 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Why is Berlin Mitte the best choice for hotel?

Where in Mitte is your accommodation?

Level Contributor
57 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Why is Berlin Mitte the best choice for hotel?

Mitte is just the busiest area where most attractions are. At that, heading west you'll see a lot! Prenlauzer berg is a bit out of the way and maybe not as safe as mitte but nothing to worry about! The u bahn or tram will quickly take you into mitte from there anyway! We stayed at the NH hotel Mitte on Leipziger strasse! Highly recommended btw!

Canada
Level Contributor
487 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Why is Berlin Mitte the best choice for hotel?

Thanks for your comments. I think we'll be staying in Mitte for the reasons you mentioned. On our first trip to Berlin, we want to be as close as possible to the sites!

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
135 posts
335 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Why is Berlin Mitte the best choice for hotel?

to be honest, 'mitte' was much bigger than i had been led to believe by google maps and the transport system in berlin is so good, i don't think it matters that much where you stay. we stayed on landsberger alle and that had 24 hour tram and we were out drinking in areas miles away and there was always a way home via public transport.

10. Re: Why is Berlin Mitte the best choice for hotel?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 May 2015, 05:16