We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

maps

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
10,382 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
maps

I've printed a few maps off on the computer but there not that good quality.

Can street maps of berlin be picked up at the airport, bus shelters and hotels,

thanks

Bedfordshire...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
9,774 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: maps

Yes, but they charge 1€ at Schönefeld ; no ; probably, depends on the hotel.

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
359 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: maps

Not sure about picking up maps at bus shelters, but one thing I really like about Berlin is that nearly all bus shelters have a really good, clear detailed map of the area you are in.

Very useful for when you just want to check where you are and the quickest way to wander to where you want to go.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
10,382 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: maps

thanks for that, I've ordered a guide to berlin and it's got a map at the back, and I've downloaded one on my phone, but hubby like the old fashioned way of map in hand.

thanks

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
27,758 posts
538 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: maps

If you get the Welcome Card it comes with an excellent map of the city. Also I recommend getting the Borch Laminated Map from Barnes and Noble or Amazon if you can get it quick.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
9,333 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: maps

If you have an Android phone, you can use CityMaps2Go offline map, so you are not dependent on wifi or roaming charges.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
27,758 posts
538 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: maps

There is also the Ulmon Maps that you can use for Berlin called the "Berlin Travel Guide and Offline City" and pinpoint places you want to go for the Iphone.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
10,382 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: maps

thanks just downloaded city mapstogo.

I've got a few berlin apps on my phone, but I'm not very technical, so the old map in had sometimes is better for us...lol

Portland, Oregon USA
Level Contributor
2,681 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: maps

There are book and magazine stores in all the major stations and many small town stations.

They have maps. I always pick one up when I visit a new town in Germany (and elsewhere). I look for one that has a street index since it is very easy to get turned around when the streets are not on a grid pattern. The index makes it much easier to find your location.

Bring along a small compass. When you use the U-bahn or S-bahn stations or buses at night, it is easy to lose your sense of direction. Knowing which way is north can save you many steps and from wandering off in the wrong direction.

I also have a small (credit card size) magnifying glass that lights up, because the street lights and shop lights aren't always sufficient at night.

Maps are a great, compact souvenir of your trip.

Bedfordshire...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
9,774 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: maps

To be honest, I don't find maps on smartphones very helpful. An 'old-fashioned' folding paper map is much better for giving you a proper idea of where you are and where you need to go and, as wibble says, there are local street plans at bus stops and u- and S-Bahn stations, which are particularly useful for working out which exit you need and which direction you need to choose when you emerge into the daylight :). Each to his own, but I think a compass is a bit unnecessary. You are not in a tropical rain forest.

Edited: 14 May 2014, 07:17
Portland, Oregon USA
Level Contributor
2,681 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: maps

"but I think a compass is a bit unnecessary"

I guess you never came up from the London Undeground and went a block west in a driving rainstorm. Then saw the street sign and realized you're going west instead of east like you wanted. No "tropical rain forest" but plenty of rain.