We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A nice story re ticket inspections

Which Berlin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
16,220 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
A nice story re ticket inspections

It's well known, and has been discussed at length here over the years, how vital it is not to travel without a validated ticket. Inspections are random, frequent, and unforgiving, and fines are heavy. This is the price we all, tourists and locals, pay for a working honour system.

But today I had the wonderful, atypical experience of being an exception to the rule. I noticed this morning, on my way to Wannsee, that the 5-day Welcome Card, which I validated yesterday, wasn't showing the validation date. I made a mental note to try again at Wannsee, but was in a hurry and forgot.

Then, returning from Park Babelsberg on the bus to Potdam Hbf, guess what? An inspector boarded. My heart sank. I couldn't have explained in my very rudimentary German what had happened, so, thinking "I'm in for it now" I sighed and showed the lady my ticket. She looked at it carefully, and said, "Lieber Frau, you must validate the ticket" (of course in German). Then she took the ticket to the validation machine, put it through, and returned it to me. So not only have I escaped a fine, I have an extra day on my ticket.

I still feel good thinking about it. There are nice people in the world, even ticket inspectors.

But please, don't expect it to happen to you. It was an exception, a wonderful gift, and I am grateful for it.

Always travel with a validated ticket!

Edited: 23 May 2014, 20:08
Bedfordshire...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
9,102 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A nice story re ticket inspections

Oh, you have done it now, Alabastron! Everyone will start trying it on and will be bleating that they have been victimised if they get caught :)

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
9,394 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: A nice story re ticket inspections

In addition to being lucky, I think the point was that you did NOT argue with her or come up with silly explanations but accepted the situation.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
5,550 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A nice story re ticket inspections

Blandine I think you have hit the nail on the head. Alabastron wasn't confrontational nor tried to play the tourist, and that probably helped.

London, United...
Level Contributor
16,220 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A nice story re ticket inspections

Blandine and Darren, I really can't claim credit for good behaviour! I was just very lucky.

Pericoloso, I did my very very best to make it clear that what happened was completely off the radar, and that no-one should expect similar treatment.

5. Re: A nice story re ticket inspections

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 May 2015, 05:16