We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mauerpark & White Trash Fast Food....

Which Berlin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
52 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Mauerpark & White Trash Fast Food....

We were thinking of going to Mauerpark on a Sunday in July to see the flea market and the bear pit Karaoke.

Also, we were thinking of going to White Trash Fast Food because basically it looked like a fun place to hang out.

I'd love to hear other people's opinion of each of these places.

Bedfordshire...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
9,368 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mauerpark & White Trash Fast Food....

Mauerpark Sunday market is great, but it does get very crowded, especially if the weather is good. Don't know much about White Trash.... (bit old for that sort of thing), but this is the reviews page tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g187323-…

London, United...
Level Contributor
16,701 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mauerpark & White Trash Fast Food....

You need to be ok with crowds to be happy at the market on Sunday. I wasn't. I couldn't wait to get out, but getting out was almost impossible: a painfully slow shuffle until I finally reached one of the few places where one could exit. I'm not claustrophobic, I'm just uncomfortable in crowds.

This was in September: I imagine it would be similar in July. I don't want to put you off: it's a great market, and I know I'm in a small minority: most people love it. But you have to be prepared for dense, almost suffocating crowds.

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
359 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mauerpark & White Trash Fast Food....

The market is definitely worth a look and yes it does get crowded... especially as this year it appears to be deliberately about half the size it used to be. I've not yet found out why this is the case. The park is always fun on a Sunday.

As for White Trash, I've not been since it moved from Prenzlauer Berg/Mitte to Treptower/Kreuzberg by the river about a month or so ago. In the previous location White Trash (especially the food side of it) benefited from a lot of passing trade on a busy street. The new location is a bit more remote but perhaps better as a music venue.

Sign of the times that both White Trash and the rather good BAIZ bar have both had to relocate recently presumably to an increase in rent on the property

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
52 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mauerpark & White Trash Fast Food....

Thanks very much for the information! Having second thoughts about Mauerpark because of the crowd situation. I don't mind crowds if it's for something I really want to see, but in this case, it's just something different to do. Oh well, just leaves more time at the other attractions we'll be going to!

Thanks again!

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
359 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mauerpark & White Trash Fast Food....

I'm always a big fan of Mauerpark (especially on a Sunday) but I will say you don't have to go into the fleamarket or sit and watch the karaoke if you think it's crowded.

On a sunny summer afternoon in Berlin, if there are any better places to hang out than in Mauerpark I'd love to know where they are.

London, United...
Level Contributor
16,701 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mauerpark & White Trash Fast Food....

I can think of loads of places, Dave. Go early to Krumme Lanke, 20 minutes from Wittenberg Platz on the U3, with a blanket, a towel, and a swim suit, choose yourself a nice little cove, and hang out all day, swimming and reading. Take your bike along, and if you get tired of lying around and swimming, ride around the neighbouring Schlachtensee, and have lunch at the Fischerhütte.

Mike: Mauerpark is huge, and there is plenty of room to move around, even at the karaoke. And there is a great atmosphere. It's only the market that gave me the willies, and as said, you don't have to go to it.

Edited: 30 May 2014, 16:31
7. Re: Mauerpark & White Trash Fast Food....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 June 2015, 06:15