We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

annual pass

Edmonton, Canada
3 posts
Save Topic
annual pass

is the annual pass issued for each museum or does it include several?

I'm going to Berlin for 10 days in Aug and very interested in the pass.

Thanks

Nic - Canada

Mentioned in this post
Berlin
Berlin
Germany
London, United...
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: annual pass

The annual Museum Pass covers all the State museums, including the Museum Island museums, the Charlottenburg museums (the Berggruen and Scharf-Gerstenberg, not the palace) the Kultur Forum museums including the Gemäldegalerie and the Neue Nationalgalerie, the Dahlem museums, the Hamburger Bahnhof, and the Photography museum.

If you are going to be in Berlin for 10 days, and are a museum-goer, you will find it well worth while. There are three versions, described here:

smb.museum/en/…annual-tickets.html

I wouldn't myself consider the €25 "basic" version, which allows entry only at off-peak times". The times vary according to the museum, but it's very restrictive if, like me, you want to visit a museum when you want to visit it, and not wait until 4 pm comes around (by then I'm usually too tired to see anything properly!) But it might suit you, and is certainly a bargain if it does.

The other two versions allow entry at all times.

The €100 version, now called "Classic Plus", allows entry to special exhibitions as well as the permanent collections. I think it's unlikely that in a 10-day visit you would find this version worthwhile. Entry fees to special exhibitions are usually reasonable, and some special exhibitions have free entry anyway, e.g. the Andreas Schluter exhibition currently at the Bode Museum.

So if you are seriously considering it, I'd recommend the €50 "Classic" version. It will pay for itself in four or five visits (entry to most museums is €10; the Pergamon and Neues Museums are €12).

I'm currently enjoying my third annual pass, and it has saved me a fortune on my 14 visits to Berlin over the last three years.

Note that the annual pass isn't available at all the museums, only at one museum in each of the complexes. The list of these is on the website I've linked you to.

Edited: 02 June 2014, 17:04
Mentioned in this post
Hamburger Bahnhof
Hamburger Bahnhof
554 Reviews
Berlin, Germany
Bode Museum
Bode Museum
441 Reviews
Berlin, Germany
Berlin
Berlin
Germany
2. Re: annual pass

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 June 2015, 06:17