We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Between Berlin and Paris

Which Berlin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York, New York...
3 posts
Save Topic
Between Berlin and Paris

I am travelling by train between Berlin and Paris, and would like to stop somewhere between for 1 or 2 nights. Any suggestions? I am a female travelling alone, I enjoy nature, museums, art, and storytelling a lot. I am also a student, so budget is a concern.

Ideally, I would like to visit somewhere unique that I can rent a bike or kayak and explore. Of course since I am travelling alone I would also like to feel safe. It does not need to be a city in the direct line between Berlin and Paris, but somewhere at least reasonably on the way.

Thank you for any and all ideas! They are really appreciated!

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
3,650 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Between Berlin and Paris

Given that many of the most direct train routes involve a change at Mannheim, that's a logical place to consider. Or maybe Heidelberg, which is nearby. Either should have cycling options.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
24,478 posts
523 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Between Berlin and Paris

Here is a map I like to use of Europe.

nationsonline.org/maps/countries_europe_map.…

You have several choices based on the map. You have several places in Germany you could go, Luxembourg, Somewhere in Belgium or if you choose. Have a look at those places to see if anything interests you. If not then just use the extra time in Berlin and the surrounding area.

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
474 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Between Berlin and Paris

As mentioned you would have to change trains in Mannheim. Mannheim is home of chemical industry in Germany. I wouldn't stay there if you long for nature.

One idea: There are frequent direct trains from Mannheim to the Neckar valley. Urban rail lines S1 and S2 alternate. S1 runs to Osterburken via Heidelberg, Hirschhorn(cute), Zwingenbgerg(castle), Mosbach(nice old town). S2 runs to Eberbach via Heidelberg and Hirschhorn. Most of these stops in between offer a cute old town, river valley and woods. In Hirschhorn (Neckar), which is served by direct train from Mannheim every 30 minutes you could rent a canoe. It's a small village in nice countryside and maybe nice as base.

…wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Hirschhorn_altstadt…

http://www.hirschhorn.de/

A company from Neckargemünd (town nearby) offers canoe trips from Hirschhorn to Heidelberg;

hochseilgarten-neckargemuend.de/kanu-verleih…

Contact data at the right. Click on menu icon "Kanuverleih" for general info.

Hiking options: outdooractive.com/de/…

Another destination in the valley is this castle: www.schloss-zwingenberg.de/engl/start.php

Edited: 03 June 2014, 20:05
4. Re: Between Berlin and Paris

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 June 2015, 06:16