We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pergamon Museum - afternoon

Which Berlin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
Pergamon Museum - afternoon

We will be in Berlin in July and will have an afternoon to vist the Pergamon.

How far is Pergamon from our morning tour drop off at the Gendamenmarkt?

Is it doable?

Thanks in advance for your advice,

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
23,598 posts
519 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pergamon Museum - afternoon

Here is a map. Says it is roughly a 11-15 minute walk

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Gendarmenmarkt,+10117+Berlin,+Germany/Pergamon+Museum,+Bodestra%C3%9Fe+1-3,+10178+Berlin,+Germany/@52.517459,13.3917344,16z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x47a851da6e329be1:0x69ed42f426573790!2m2!1d13.39267!2d52.513722!1m5!1m1!1s0x47a84e20050a834b:0x9d380546a98f5431!2m2!1d13.3969!2d52.521183!3e2

Edited: 05 June 2014, 19:05
London, United...
Level Contributor
16,225 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pergamon Museum - afternoon

It's perfectly doable, but I'd allow 20 minutes for the walk, unless you're young and fit and don't want to stop to look at anything along the way.

Depending on the time of day, you may have to queue for a while to get in. Late afternoon - in my recent experience - has been the best time, but you say you'll be doing a morning tour, so I guess you'll get to the Pergamon earlier. If there is a long line, and if don't have to catch a bus or train to go somewhere else, it might be better to go to one of the other museums first and come back later, at around 4.

Edited: 05 June 2014, 22:12
Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Pergamon Museum - afternoon

Thank you jordansbulls, the map and directions are great.

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Pergamon Museum - afternoon

Thank you Alabastron,

It will probably take me 20 to 25 minutes.

I estimate I only have 4 to 5 hours in the afternoon,.

Should we reserve online in order to get a guarantee time in?

Considering taking tram or taxi if need be.

I am very interested in seeing the highlights of the Pergamon.

Thanks for your help,

London, United...
Level Contributor
16,225 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pergamon Museum - afternoon

In that case yes, it would make sense to book on line. Note that even if you do book a time slot, you may still have to wait for a while if the museum is especially crowded when you get there. But if you have 4-5 hours, you'll have plenty of time even if you do have a short wait.

You can't take a tram: there isn't one. A taxi is definitely an option, not just to save time, but to reserve your strength and stamina for the enormous Pergamon. It's a short journey, and will cost just a few euros. I'd probably do that: it isn't an especially inspiring walk. Do take some time to enjoy beautiful Gendarmenmarkt, which IS inspiring, before you set off, though.

Edited: 05 June 2014, 22:50
Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Pergamon Museum - afternoon

Thank you Alabastron,

We really appreciate your advice and even if we can only see the highlights we are very excited that we can visit the Pergamon.

I will definitely spend some time at the Gendarmenmarkt.,

Thank you again for your post.

London, United...
Level Contributor
16,225 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pergamon Museum - afternoon

Enjoy your visit!

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
23,598 posts
519 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pergamon Museum - afternoon

@ MaruT2013,

Please get the Welcome Card as well it comes with an excellent map. And if you rather have a better idea of how to get around before heading to Berlin I recommend this map on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Berlin-Germany-Street-laminated-BORCH/dp/8072286544/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1402095496&sr=8-2&keywords=Berlin+Borch+Laminated+Map

Illinois
Level Contributor
16,201 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pergamon Museum - afternoon

Only get the Welcome card if it makes financial sense. You don't need it for a map. I survived nearly 2 weeks in Berlin using the map from the DK Eyewitness Guidebook (since I had the guidebook anyway) and the Streetwise Berlin map which you can get from Barnes and Noble and Amazon.

10. Re: Pergamon Museum - afternoon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 June 2015, 05:17