We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best place to stay

iSRAEL
Level Contributor
30 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Best place to stay

Where would you recommend for a 60 year old couple to stay in berlin - somewhere central , lively in the evenings for going out and close to the touristic attractions?

Insider Tour
City Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, Day Trips
SANDEMANs NEW Europe - Berlin
Private Tours, Bar, Club & Pub Tours, City Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours
Fat Tire Tours Berlin
City Tours, Segway Tours, Bike Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
Original Berlin Walks
Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Cultural Tours, City Tours, Walking Tours
London, United...
Level Contributor
18,502 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best place to stay

The Hackescher Markt area answers all your requirements. Have a look at the Adina Apart-Hotel Hackescher Markt.

adina.eu/adina-apartment-hotel-berlin-hackes…

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
2,587 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best place to stay

Everyone tends to say Mitte, but I think: 1) getting around is easy and inepensive; 2) the main cultural sites are on the Museum Island or close to Unter den Linden, but there are other sites worth seeing all around Berlin, 3) what you want to do during the day (museums and public buildings and parks) iis different from what you want to do in the evening, when the museums and public buildings are empty; 4) the average age in the bars and restaurants in Mitte is likely to be well below yours (I am 66). I am not voting against Mitte, but suggest you look on line at hotels near the Kurfurstendam - the area is a bit more staid without being dead. The ones near the Brandenburg Gate (and Holocaust Memorial) tend to be pretty quiet at night.Take a look at Savignyplatz. It is surrounded by restaurants and cafes and is very lively at night.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
15,050 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best place to stay

I agree with RobLaw47. We stayed on Bleibtreustrasse near Savignyplatz and had an enjoyable time as there are numerous restaurants of all types along it.

iSRAEL
Level Contributor
30 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best place to stay

Is Park Inn Alexanderplaz close enough? Would it be a good choice?

London, United...
Level Contributor
18,502 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best place to stay

It's close enough to the tourist sites, but Alexanderplatz is somewhat soulless. It's not a particularly good area to stay in, and I wouldn't choose it myself. The hotel, however, if you decide you'd like to stay there, has marvellous views from its higher floors.

Edited: 14 June 2014, 21:50
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
31,578 posts
588 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best place to stay

"Is Park Inn Alexanderplaz close enough? "

Here is the visual location on the map so you know the area you would in. Click on things to do, restaurants that are by the hotel to give you an idea.

tripadvisor.com/…MAPVIEW

London, United...
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Best place to stay

You can stay in Kreuzberg / Friedrichshain district of Berlin, there's the best and cheapest nightlife in town. Prenzlauer Berg also isn't bad; just ask any taxi driver to get you to the "Wasserturm" ("water tower)

Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
825 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best place to stay

As a 60+ Israeli as well, I can confirm that you don't have to stay in Mitte. We stayed in the Charlottenburg area (West) - near Savignyplatz. Cheaper and qieter area and, with the excellent public transit system, you are only 15 minutes away from Mitte and all the major attractions. Lots of good and diverse eateries in the Savignyplatz area. And, of course, you are right in the heart of the Ku-dam shopping area.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
31,578 posts
588 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best place to stay

" Lots of good and diverse eateries in the Savignyplatz area."

Yep a great place to stay and plenty to do in the evening.

London, United...
Level Contributor
18,502 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best place to stay

Of course. But ...

"somewhere central ... and close to the touristic attractions" is what Liatisrael says she is looking for.