We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

S-Bahn suspension summer 2014

Which Berlin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
5,497 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
S-Bahn suspension summer 2014

Just a heads-up to anyone planning a visit in July or August. The Stadtbahn is being closed for improvement works from early July to late August, in two stages. First between Zoologischer Garten and Friedrichstraße, then from Friedrichstraße to Ostbahnhof. This will affect lines S5, S7 and S75.

It's not clear if Regional trains will be running but what I've seen suggests they are not affected.

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
1,797 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: S-Bahn suspension summer 2014

As Darren already said, there will be no S-Bahn service between Zoologischer Garten and Friedrichstrasse from July 14 to August 4 and between Friedrichstrasse and Ostbahnhof from August 4 to 25.

However there will be a bus service (look for signs named "Schienenersatzverkehr" or "SEV") replacing the S-Bahn during that time.

Regional Trains (as the Airport Express) will not be affected.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
2,649 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: S-Bahn suspension summer 2014

Thank you for this information. This will surely affect my travel when I arrive on August 2. My plan was to take the RE7 from Schoenefeld to Berlin Hbf, then transfer to S-7 to Savignyplatz, then on to Kantstrasse where my hotel is located. Now I'm unsure as to what to do?

London, United...
Level Contributor
15,900 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: S-Bahn suspension summer 2014

Stay on the RE7, which isn't affected by the suspension, to Zoologischer Garten. You should be able to walk from there (about 10 minutes to Savignyplatz/Kantstrasse) but if you have lots of luggage, take a taxi.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
2,649 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: S-Bahn suspension summer 2014

Thanks.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
2,649 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: S-Bahn suspension summer 2014

Hello. Can someone tell me how I would get to Sachsenhausen from S Savignyplatz during the suspension? Thank you.

Edited: 21 June 2014, 22:34
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
22,921 posts
505 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: S-Bahn suspension summer 2014

"Can someone tell me how I would get to Sachsenhausen from S Savignyplatz during the suspension"

Are you taking the tour on your own instead of going on a walking tour?

Anyway here is the information you need

http://www.stiftung-bg.de/gums/en/

Take the regional train RE 5 (Regionalbahn 5) from Berlin-Hauptbahnhof towards Stralsund/Rostock, alight at Oranienburg station. Journey time is around 25 minutes from Berlin-Hauptbahnhof, with one train an hour.

Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
7,237 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: S-Bahn suspension summer 2014

It looks like the best is RE2 from Zoologischergarten to Hauptbahnhof and then the RE5.

fahrinfo-berlin.de/Fahrinfo/bin/query.bin/en…

I not sure if this keeps the search or not The S bahn seems very slow, maybe because it is a bus

Hope this helps

Edited: 22 June 2014, 01:40
Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
2,649 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: S-Bahn suspension summer 2014

Thank you once again.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
2,649 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: S-Bahn suspension summer 2014

Another few questions please. Per my trip to Sachsenhausen, it appears the RE5 runs every hour. How do I find out what time it leaves the Berlin HBF station? Also, to get to that station, can I take the SEV bus from Kantstrasse? Or is it best to take the RE2 from Zoologischergarten as recommended above? What is the time schedule of the RE2? Thanks.

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
1,797 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: S-Bahn suspension summer 2014

It depends on the time you're travelling.

Use the Journey Planner to get the best connection: fahrinfo-berlin.de/Fahrinfo/bin/query.bin/en

To: Oranienburg Bhf (S)

Or to check departure times for the RE5 from Hauptbahnhof:

To: Oranienburg Bhf (S)