We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A week in Berlin

Thessaloniki, Greece
Destination Expert
for Thessaloniki
Level Contributor
1,471 posts
Save Topic
A week in Berlin

Hello,

In about a month we're coming to Berlin for a week.We're staying at Ibis Styles Berlin Mitte.Here's an itinerary i've made.Any comments,suggestions are appreciated.

Sunday: Check in at the hotel around 17:00.We'll probably explore the area around(Torstrasse,Hackesher Markt,Oranienburg Str.) have a drink a dinner there.

Monday: Pergamon museum,Berliner Dom,Nikolaiviertel,Gendarmenmarkt.

Tuesday: Brandenburger Tor,Reichstag(not sure if we're going in),Holocaust Memorial,Topography of Terror,Potsdamer Platz.

Wednesday: Potsdam full day trip.

Thursday: KaDeWe,Kurfurstendamm,Tiegarten.

Friday: Turkish market at Kreuzberg(explore the area around),East side Gallery(explore the area).

Saturday:Memorial of the Berlin Wall,explore Prenzlauer Berg.

Sunday: Maybe a quick visit to Mauerpark, our plane leaves at 16:10 :(

Additionally,we'd like to spend our nights in different areas.As i've read the main nightlife areas are:Savignyplatz,Simon Dach Strasse,Oranienburger Str.,Kastanienallee,Kollwitzplatz.Enought i think to keep us busy at night. :)

Many thanks,

Grigoris

Edited: 17 June 2014, 12:33
SANDEMANs NEW Europe - Berlin
City Tours, Bar, Club & Pub Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, Private Tours
Alternative Berlin Tours
Walking Tours, Beer Tastings & Tours, City Tours, Night Tours, Bar, Club & Pub Tours
Berlin Craft Beer Experience
Beer Tastings & Tours, Cultural Tours, Night Tours, Bar, Club & Pub Tours
Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
787 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A week in Berlin

If this is your first time in Berlin, I would strongly recommend a classic general walking tour to begin with (2 - 4 hours, depending on the company). That way you will efficiently cover the highlights, get oriented, and be able to decide what exactly you want to see more in depth in the center of the city.

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
1,797 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A week in Berlin

Looks quite good to me.

What about going up on the tv-tower to get an overview on Monday?

Tuesday might be a bit packed.

You could start with Potsdamer Platz as well on Thursday and continue to Tiergarten and KaDeWe from there, staying in former West Berlin at Savignyplatz for the evening.

If you don't want to visit some of the clubs, Simon-Dach-Str./ Boxhagener Platz, Oranienburger Str./ Hackescher Markt or Kastanienallee will be alright.

Kollwitzplatz and the water tower are not that thrilling anymore, but a good option, if you like it a bit more quiet. You could also check out the area around the Turkish market, the Reuterkiez or so called Kreuzkoelln.

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,464 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A week in Berlin

I agree that it looks like a good balance. Possibly too much on Tuesday, but that depends on your interests. The Brandenburger Tor won't consume a great deal of time, nor will the Reichstag if you don't go in; but if you are very interested, or even just quite interested in WWII and Third Reich history, you'll want to spend as much time as possible at the Topography of Terror. And you should also visit the excellent documentation centre beneath the Memorial for the Murdered Jews of Europe (aka Holocaust Memorial) for which you may have to wait a while: only a certain number of people are allowed in at once.

If you decide to take the walking tour, which is a good idea, do it on Monday. It will take you past the Brandenburger Tor and the Reichstag, the Berliner Dom and Gendarmenmarkt. That will save you time on Tuesday, as well as familiarise you with a fairly large swatch of Berlin. Use Insider Tours or Berlin Walks, not one of the so-called "free tours" outfits.

Thessaloniki, Greece
Destination Expert
for Thessaloniki
Level Contributor
1,471 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: A week in Berlin

@ramot The truth is that i thought about that but since we'll be for a week there,maybe it's better to do it on our own with our guidebook.I'm just thinking that we'll be coming back again to visit some places since the tour does not include entrances to the sights.

@leitstrahl Thanks about the Thusrday plan.It seems good.The only reason i put Potsdamer platz with the Topography is because they are next to each other.As for the tv tower,do you think it's worth the 13 euros admission?

@Alabastron Yes,i'm going to visit documentation centre also.The tour makes sense that way.I'll have to think twice that.Hope the weather will be nice on Monday. :)

Grigoris

Edited: 17 June 2014, 14:13
Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
1,797 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A week in Berlin

Look at my profile picture.

Any further question?

If I were you, I'd even try to book a table in the rotating restaurant with its lovely GDR interior (though refurbished). But that's only my personal point of farview...

Thessaloniki, Greece
Destination Expert
for Thessaloniki
Level Contributor
1,471 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: A week in Berlin

To be honest,i've been watching carefully your posts as a local but never noticed your avatar!

No further questions!

Grigoris

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
5,841 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A week in Berlin

Looks like a great itinerary to me, and I'm another vote for a walking tour and the TV Tower :-)

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
27,728 posts
538 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A week in Berlin

Walking tour is great and if you do chose one go for either Original Berlin Walks or Insider Tours both of which are excellent

In fact just so you know what you will see on the tour here is a link of the sights.

berlinwalks.de/public/…mainsights

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
19,812 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A week in Berlin

I'd suggest going p the TV tower towards the end of the week when you've got your bearings, then you appreciate more what you are looking at.

I'd also recommend going up the Reichtag dome (pre-book a slot by email) and possibly asos Panormapunkt at Potsdamer Platz. A lot cheaper than the TV tower and nice views plus explanatory panels about the history of Potsdamer Platz.

Your hotel is an easy walk from Bernauer Strasse and the Berlin Wall memorial. You could do it on the Sunday easily enough. Other options in the area for Sunday, + or - are the fleamarkets on Arkonaplatz which is relatively small but with nice stuff, and Mauerpark which is much bigger and more varied in quality.

On Saturdays there's a market (bio + handicrafts etc) on Kollwitzstrasse by Kollwitzplatz. Other than that, there's not all that much to explore exactly in Prenzlauer Berg, it's more that it's a lovely area to wander round,with wide pavements, very green, nice 19th century buildings.

Having said that I'e just remembered that there is the new exhibition on life in the GDR in a building in the Kulturbrauerei complex. Free entry as it is federally-funded (cp the DDR-Museum near the cathedral, which is privately owned). I have only as yet had a glimpse of the federal one (killing time before a film) but have visited the DDR-Museum twice and think it is excellent.

Edited: 17 June 2014, 20:35
10. Re: A week in Berlin

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2015, 06:17