We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sandemans Potsdam and/or Sachsenhausen

West Midlands
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Sandemans Potsdam and/or Sachsenhausen

Hi,

I'm off to Berlin on Monday and I've been looking at the Sandemans tours based on a friend recommendation after going on the free city tour.

Has anyone been on the Potsdam or Sachsenhausen tour who could explain how it works? I'm staying near to the zoo so I would start the tour from that pick up point. Once I've got to the start point do I then buy my ABC rail ticket and then meet the guide? Does the guide then accompany you on public transport to the tour location, eg Potsdam, complete the tour and then accompany you back to Berlin?

Also, as the west pick up is an optional pick up, would this mean that it needs to be pre-booked?

I have no problem with using public transport I'd just like the reassurance that the pressure of getting the right bus or train is taken away from me and a guide will point me in the right direction.

Thanks for any help!

Insider Tour
City Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, Day Trips
SANDEMANs NEW Europe - Berlin
Private Tours, Bar, Club & Pub Tours, City Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours
Fat Tire Tours Berlin
City Tours, Segway Tours, Bike Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
Original Berlin Walks
Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Cultural Tours, City Tours, Walking Tours
Milton Keynes...
Level Contributor
1,630 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sandemans Potsdam and/or Sachsenhausen

Sachsenhausen is easy to get to , Just download the Berlin rail map, You need to get off at Orangiburg ( I think that's how it's spelt) once you get out of the station there is a bus that's will take you to Sachsenhausen concentration camp, Just follow the tourists, it's normally quite busy, It's free to get in and well worth the visit.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
31,544 posts
588 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sandemans Potsdam and/or Sachsenhausen

I didn't use Sandemans for Sachsenhausen but rather I used Original Berlin Walks.

You meet them at a certain area in Berlin and then they take you out to Sachsenhausen and do the tour

berlinwalks.de/public/…Sachsenhausen

West Midlands
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sandemans Potsdam and/or Sachsenhausen

Thanks for the heads up, I'll do a bit more digging around tours!

Frankfurt
Destination Expert
for Frankfurt
Level Contributor
5,937 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sandemans Potsdam and/or Sachsenhausen

I have done tours with Insider Tours to both Sachsenhausen and Potsdam and can highly recommend them. Quality tours, low prices, professional guides who really know their stuff.

West Midlands
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sandemans Potsdam and/or Sachsenhausen

Insider Tours isn't one I've heard of but I'll certainly have a look at them. Thank you

Frankfurt
Destination Expert
for Frankfurt
Level Contributor
5,937 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sandemans Potsdam and/or Sachsenhausen

If you go to the top of your screen, you will see a green bar with various categories like restaurants, hotels and Things to Do. Click on Things to Do and you will get choices like Attractions, Activities, Tours. Here you will find all of the tours in Berlin, you can read the reviews, visit their websites, see which ones match your time schedule, match your interests, location, etc.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
31,544 posts
588 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sandemans Potsdam and/or Sachsenhausen

"Insider Tours isn't one I've heard of but I'll certainly have a look at them. Thank you"

Check here. Both Original Berlin Walks and Insider Tours are highly recommended.

tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g187323-Activiti…

London, United...
Level Contributor
18,499 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sandemans Potsdam and/or Sachsenhausen

I did the Sachsenhausen tour with Insider Tours, and had an excellent, knowledgeable guide who is passionate about WWII history. I recommend them.

You can also go to the camp independently, and go around with the audio guide.

Edited: 22 June 2014, 21:41
Maleny, Australia
Level Contributor
1,135 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sandemans Potsdam and/or Sachsenhausen

Any info regarding Potsdam Tours?

Thanks,

Kevin

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
31,544 posts
588 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sandemans Potsdam and/or Sachsenhausen

"Any info regarding Potsdam Tours?"

Have not taken a tour with Original Berlin Walks nor Insider Tours on Potsdam but here is the information regarding it and what they cover on the tour

berlinwalks.de/public/…Potsdam

"For nearly three centuries, the scenic town of Potsdam just outside Berlin was the residence of the Prussian kings, princes, and German emperors of the House of Hohenzollern who created a fairy-tale landscape of palaces, gardens, and churches that ranks

among the most beautiful in Europe. Our walk takes you past the dreamlike castle of Babelsberg and up to the lakeside Marble Palace with its Greek temple ruins. See an idyllic Russian village before exploring the quaint little 18th Century Dutch quarter. No surprise that Potsdam has been accorded UNESCO World Heritage status.

But the cruel realities of 20th Century history intervened in 1945. Visit the grounds of Cecilienhof Palace, scene of the Potsdam Conference, where an American president, a Soviet dictator, and a British prime minister sat down to shape the future of Germany and Europe after World War II, ushering in the Cold War. Cross the “spy swap” bridge, where Gary Powers was traded in 1962 and see the former Stasi prison, run by the East German secret police.

The tour ends back in the 18th Century. Finish in the enchanting surroundings of Sanssouci Park and Palace, created by Frederick the Great. You can then explore Sanssouci on your own or accompany the guide back to Berlin."