We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much Spending money for 5 day trip ?

Manchester
Level Contributor
287 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
How much Spending money for 5 day trip ?

Hi Guys,

We were thinking of going to Berlin for the first time this October,were a couple but not party animals & won't be going mad on the beer,will be having a snack at dinner & a main meal in the evening with a few beers along the way,just chilling out & seeing the sites.....could someone please give me a rough idea how much spending money we are likely to need ? we won't be eating at fast food places but also we won't be eating at expensive restaraunts either !

We won't be buying many sounvenirs either. all answers gratefully received !

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,213 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How much Spending money for 5 day trip ?

You've been very specific about your spending plans, which makes it easy to answer you. €50 a day each, excluding accommodation, should be ample for your modest consumption food and drink, entry fees, use of public transport, and a few irresistible souvenirs.

You should investigate the Welcome Card, which will cover all your public transport usage, and give you discounts on many attractions, e.g. museums, walking tours, boat trips, etc. All the information is here:

http://www.bvg.de/index.php/en/17179/name/Berlin+WelcomeCard.html

Note that Potsdam and Sachsenhausen, if they are included in your plans, are in Zone C, as is Schönefeld airport if you are flying into/out of it.

Edited: 17 July 2014, 15:25
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
26,810 posts
538 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How much Spending money for 5 day trip ?

100 euros a day the two of you would be more than sufficient and actually 75 to 80 euros more likely total bearing you are seeing the attractions that are free in Berlin.

Manchester
Level Contributor
287 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How much Spending money for 5 day trip ?

Thanks Guys......to see all the main sites in Berlin on foot & visit the main museums about the history of Berlin & the main ones related to WW II how many days do you reckon you need ? were both reasonably fit.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
5,821 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How much Spending money for 5 day trip ?

As a general rule I recommend 4 nights, assuming you can get an early arrival and a late departure. Do heed Alabastron's advice on the Welcome Card, it's just a few euro more than a regular travel pass and will get you a lot of discounts on museums and other attractions. Make no mistake - Berlin is a massive city and public transport will be needed. Put it this way - it's about a third smaller than the *county* of Greater Manchester.

Breda, The...
Level Contributor
2,052 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How much Spending money for 5 day trip ?

You can spent weeks in Berlin.

We did 4 days in december and they were not enough.

Going back next week for 5 days and i know it wont be enough again.

So for us a good excuse to go back another time.

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,213 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How much Spending money for 5 day trip ?

>to see all the main sites in Berlin on foot & visit the main museums about the history of Berlin & the main ones related to WW II how many days do you reckon you need ?<

That's a tall order, and I'm tempted to reply with another question: how many days do you have? There are too many "main sites" and "main museums" related to Berlin's history and the war to name. If you really wanted to see all of them, you'd need at least two weeks. But five days is a good amount of time for a first visit. If you keep going, you'll see quite a lot, but there will be loads left for another several visits.

Edited: 17 July 2014, 20:37
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
5,821 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How much Spending money for 5 day trip ?

but there will be loads left for another several visits.

---

30-something visits and I still haven't been to the Neues Museum. or Pergamon Museum. So much to do.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
26,810 posts
538 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How much Spending money for 5 day trip ?

"30-something visits and I still haven't been to the Neues Museum. or Pergamon Museum. So much to do."

Wow do you have an itinerary when you go or just do whatever moves you that day or trip?

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,213 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How much Spending money for 5 day trip ?

Poor Darren - I think it's too late for you. You are no longer a tourist in Berlin. ;-)

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
5,821 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How much Spending money for 5 day trip ?

jordansbulls - no I don't have an itinerary. My boyfriend and I generally decide what to do on a given day on that morning, or sometimes the evening before, and sometimes that's nothing.

Alabastron you know I'd move if I could. Come on, lotto win!

Edited: 18 July 2014, 20:55