We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Side trip(s) from Berlin

Which Berlin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York
Level Contributor
321 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Side trip(s) from Berlin

We'll be in Berlin for a week in August with teenage son and wondering what would make a nice day trip or overnight. Interested to see a smaller city or two, particularly of historical interest. And to experience smaller-city life in Germany.

Considering Dresden or Leipzig. Any other thoughts?

Would these be best for one day, or overnight?

Thank you!

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
1,797 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Side trip(s) from Berlin

Potsdam is already part of your itinerary?

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
3,745 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Side trip(s) from Berlin

From Berlin, both Dresden and Leipzig are feasible as day trips, although I think it's much more comfortable if you can stay overnight and don't have to rush to get back to your train, especially if you have one of these discount tickets where you have to take one specific train.

Another suggestion would be some place on the Baltic sea, such as Warnemünde, for instance. Cruise ships dock there, and it's quite a beautiful place. You'd have to stay for a night there or in the vicinity, though, since it's further than Leipzig or Dresden.

Or how about Lübeck? See the famous Holstentor. Well, maybe it won't be that special to you, but this is on the 50 DM bills, so I had seen the picture of it many times before seeing the actual place. It's as if the money had come to life ;-)

London, United...
Level Contributor
16,437 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Side trip(s) from Berlin

You should certainly visit Potsdam. If Potsdam is already included in your visiting Berlin plans, you could consider Brandenburg, a lovely small town half an hour further on down the Havel, with many old buildings, beautiful churches, and fortification towers. It takes an hour to get there on the regional train, RE1, from Alexanderplatz, Hauptbahnhof or Zoo.

http://www.brandenburg-tourism.com/

http://www.stadt-brandenburg.de/

And don't overlook Berlin's own beautiful surroundings: lakes, rivers, forests, all within roughly half an hour's journey from the centre.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
24,371 posts
523 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Side trip(s) from Berlin

Potsdam is certainly close enough. You could also experience Oranienburg or Furstenberg as well.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
19,315 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Side trip(s) from Berlin

A week's not all that long for Berlin + Potsdam, and Leipzig and Dresden are both too big to cover in a day-trip really.

In fact you can't see "all" of Potsdam in a day either, I've been about 10 times over the last few years and each time I go i get to see something new, as well as showing friends old favourites.

Within Berlin city limits but previously independent, you have Spandau and Köpenick. Like Potsdam they are on the river/lakes so make a nice excursion. Lots of choice of boat trips too. Biggest choice here www.sternundkreis.de/en/SundK/Home/K256.htm

I've been to Oranienburg, to visit Sachsenhausen and to visit the town, Bernau is also interesting, not least to see GDR town planning in a medieval centre. Both these are zone C as is Potsdam.

I still haven't made it out to Brandenburg, and Frankfurt an der Oder is also still pending. A Berlin-Brandenburg-Ticket would be the cheapest way for two people to get to both of them

Edited: 23 July 2014, 13:42
6. Re: Side trip(s) from Berlin

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 July 2015, 05:16