We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Berlin to Krakow or Frankfurt to elsewhere??

Which Berlin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Berlin to Krakow or Frankfurt to elsewhere??

I suddenly have 3 open days at the end of my stay in Berlin and leave from Frankfurt airport on the 4th day. I was thinking of going Berlin- Krakow -FRA but wonder if there would be too much time in (train) travel. Are they any organised tours for this? Alternatively any suggestions for other destinations?

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
24,478 posts
523 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Berlin to Krakow or Frankfurt to elsewhere??

So as to understand you have 3 days for Berlin and you contemplating another destination or you are saying you have 3 more days beside the time you have in Berlin and deciding on what to do with those days? For either option Munich would be a good choice.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
19,336 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Berlin to Krakow or Frankfurt to elsewhere??

Krakow is totally out of your way, even flying it is pointless. Munich also involves quite a detour off route.

Assuming you have allowed enough days for Berlin + Potsdam ( I would say 4 days absolute minimum and a week is better), look at including places on one of the rail routes between Berlin and Frankfurt. This could be Leipzig and Fulda possibly, or Naumburg, Weimar and Erfurt.

Or time in Frankfurt/Mainz area (the airport is between the two). The Middle Rhine Valley is west of Mainz and very spectacular (you can get a local train from Mainz or Wiesbaden to Koblenz and back down the other bank of the Rhine)

look at bahn.de for timetables. you can look up intermediate stops on a route too

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Berlin to Krakow or Frankfurt to elsewhere??

Hi

Thanks you for the thoughtful reply. I have 10 days in Berlin after a trip to Wiesbaden and the Rhine. I also have travelled in Germany before so I was looking for something else. Any other great suggestions. I will be travelling solo.

Canada
Level Contributor
485 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Berlin to Krakow or Frankfurt to elsewhere??

I know I'm going against the advice of the other recommenders - but we just spent eight nights divided between Krakow and Berlin, and thought it was perfect. Yes, it's about a six hour drive from Krakow to Berlin, so ideally you could change your ticket to fly home from Krakow rather than driving back to Frankfurt. There's no direct train, so if you can find a reasonably priced rental car, that's the way to go.

If you want to stick to the train, you might consider Prague - I believe there are direct trains between those cities.

5. Re: Berlin to Krakow or Frankfurt to elsewhere??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 August 2015, 05:17