We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I Must Admit...I Absolutely Loved Berlin!

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
2,756 posts
127 reviews
Save Topic
I Must Admit...I Absolutely Loved Berlin!

Just returned from a 3 city tour with my daughter that included Berlin, Munich and Paris... in that order. In consideration of Berlin's horrendous history, I figured we would visit here first, get it out of the way, then enjoy relaxing atmospheres in the latter two. Well, despite the visual reminders of Berlin's brutal history throughout the city (which actually added to the allure of this wonderful city), my daughter and I both declared that this was our favorite destnation. We loved the efficient transportation system; the wonderful neighborhoods; great food; delicious pastries; the Spree riverfront; KaDeWe; hanging out in Pariser Platz, Tiergarten and the Reichstag. I just wished we had more time here. Berlin is definitely a tourist-friendly city, nothing like Paris where you are nickel and dimed to death. I would love to return sometime.

Breda, The...
Level Contributor
2,143 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I Must Admit...I Absolutely Loved Berlin!

Great you had a good time.

Germany and the Germans are imho much nicer than France.

Enjoy planning a next trip.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
28,573 posts
537 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I Must Admit...I Absolutely Loved Berlin!

Yep Berlin is awesome and Germans are nice people. It gets stereotyped for what happened in the past, but that isn't the case anymore. Lots to do in Berlin and a lot to learn in Berlin about the past.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
52 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I Must Admit...I Absolutely Loved Berlin!

Berlin is flat out the coolest place I've ever been. Glad to hear you and your daughter enjoyed it Aquablue!

Gulfport, Florida
Level Contributor
53 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I Must Admit...I Absolutely Loved Berlin!

We visited last week and were impressed with Berlin as a whole. Right now it is one of the more reasonable European capitol cities from a cost perspective. Definitely a place to visit and we will return!

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
28,573 posts
537 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I Must Admit...I Absolutely Loved Berlin!

"Right now it is one of the more reasonable European capitol cities from a cost perspective"

Definitely while you are there, but it is more expensive for me to get to than most European Cities. Germany period you hardly ever see any deals on flights from the U.S there.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
2,756 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I Must Admit...I Absolutely Loved Berlin!

And DON'T fly into another city and take a train into Germany...or anywhere else for that matter. The European train experience was one of the worst experiences of my life. The disorganization, lack of luggage space, the hustle and crowds. I will never complain about Amtrak again.

Thessaloniki, Greece
Destination Expert
for Thessaloniki
Level Contributor
1,471 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: I Must Admit...I Absolutely Loved Berlin!

<The European train experience was one of the worst experiences of my life>

In my opinion,travelling by train in Europe is really great.I've used trains many times and never had a problem.

Grigoris

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
28,573 posts
537 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: I Must Admit...I Absolutely Loved Berlin!

"The European train experience was one of the worst experiences of my life."

Which leg of your trip for train was bad?

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
2,756 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: I Must Admit...I Absolutely Loved Berlin!

I traveled from Berlin to Munich...and again from Munich to Paris. I had to change trains during both trips. There just wasn't enough luggage space for all the people who were traveling, therefor luggage was strewn all over. There were times when my luggage was several cars from where I was sitting.

It could have been the time of the year with very large crowds. If I were traveling with little or no luggage, there would not have been an issue. However when traveling with large pieces, it was really difficult.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
129 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: I Must Admit...I Absolutely Loved Berlin!

Reading all the praises for Berlin makes me looking forward to my visit in less than a month!

Can't wait!