We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with getting around please

Brixham, United...
Level Contributor
38 posts
78 reviews
Save Topic
Help with getting around please

My daughter and I are travelling to Berlin for the Christmas markets , just a short stay of two nights Dec 09th & 10th. This is quite a big step for me as I was recently widowed and it's my first time away. Could I ask please what would be the best way to get to our hotel - The Berlin Mark, Meinekestrabe - I would like to be brave and try public transport, but know very little German I regret to say, also the best way of getting back go the airport. We arrive at Schonefeld late afternoon and depart from there at 9pm. I would also like to know about the markets , is there one big one or a choice ? Which is closest to our hotel ? Many thanks for any information.

Brixham, United...
Level Contributor
38 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with getting around please

Thank you for your reply. Apologies for mispronouncing the address - taken from my booking confirmation. You don't say whether this us bus or train and from where I would get them ?

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
26,025 posts
524 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with getting around please

"You don't say whether this us bus or train and from where I would get them ?"

The U Trains or U-Bahn is the underground train. So the U1/U9 which was mentioned by werner_heisenberg45 is the underground train you would take.

3. Re: Help with getting around please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 22 August 2014, 06:09
Edited: 22 August 2014, 06:09
London, United...
Level Contributor
16,973 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with getting around please

Posts #1 and #2 simply told you the nearest U-bahn station to the hotel, not how to get there.

To get to your hotel, take the Airport Express from Schönefeld to Zoologischer Garten. You can buy your tickets at the airport, at the BVG stand which is just to the right outside the Arrivals terminal. There is a short walk - about 6 minutes - under a covered walkway from the terminal to the train station. You need tickets for zones AB and C, and you must validate them in the machine on the platform.

The Airport Express is a Regional Train: RE7, or RB14. They run half hourly, usually from Platform 11 as I remember,and take about 40 minutes to reach Zoo. From there, it's about a 10-minute walk to the hotel, but as the area can be a bit confusing when you emerge from the station I would suggest taking a taxi for a few euros.

Berlin has Christmas markets everywhere! Here is a link that will tell you about them:

germany-christmas-market.org.uk/berlin_chris…

The ones at Gendarmenmarkt and Charlottenburg Palace are two of the nicest; the closest one to your hotel is the one at Kaiser Wilhelm Memorial Church.

Enjoy them, and have a lovely time in Berlin.

There's no need to be nervous about Berlin's efficient, user-friendly public transport system. For your two full days in the city, you can buy day tickets from the machine on the platform. On your first day, as you will be moving around the city centre, you need tickets for zones A and B. For your second day, which will include your return to the airport, you need tickets for zones AB and C. Tickets are valid for all public transport: U-bahn, S-bahn, buses, and trams.

Brixham, United...
Level Contributor
38 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with getting around please

Thank you so very much for your thoughtful and detailed reply Alabastron, I now feel I know exactly what to do on arrival. You rightly picked up on my nervousness but have very much alleviated it. Thank you.

London, United...
Level Contributor
16,973 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help with getting around please

You're very welcome. Have a wonderful trip, and do come back here we can be of any further help.

Edited: 22 August 2014, 12:54
Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
7,488 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help with getting around please

I believe that you need to validate your tickets ,insert them in the yellow box on the platform which will time stamp them

8. Re: Help with getting around please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 August 2015, 05:17