We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trips from Berlin

Which Berlin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
132 posts
81 reviews
Save Topic
Day trips from Berlin

We will be with our 20 month old toddler and coming to Berlin for 3-4 days. I happened to read a lovely article on daytrips from Berlin and we are contemplating doing one of them. Have to rely completely on public transport and need it to be mostly stroller friendly.

We wanted to get some advice on these places: Potsdam, Pfauneninsel, Liepnitzsee, Buckow and Bad Saarow. We would prefer if these areas had some food on offer either in the form of cafes or restaurants as well.

Any help would be appreciated. Cheers

Kirti

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
1,797 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trips from Berlin

Potsdam is within Berlin's public transport zones ABC and easy to get to. No problems with restaurants or cafes in the capital of Brandenburg.

If you want to get to Bad Saarow, you'll have to go by regional Train RE1 to Fuerstenwalde and change for OE/RB35 to Bad Saarow there. You'll find some restaurants around lake Scharmuetzelsee.

For getting to Buckow in Brandenburg (not to mix up with Buckow in Berlin's borough of Neukoelln) take S-Bahn S5 to its terminus Strausberg Nord and bus 929 to Buckow from there. No problem finding a cafe or restaurant in Buckow.

Liepnitzsee is close to Wandlitz, where regional train RB27 takes you from Berlin. The closest bus stop to lake Liepnitzsee is Uetzdorf, Dorf on bus 909. Insulaner Klause next to the ferry to island Grosser Werder is the only restaurant around.

Check schedules and additional connections from Berlin to Potsdam, Bad Saarow, Liepnitzsee and Buckow with the VBB journey planner: http://www.vbb.de/en/index.html

And finally Pfaueninsel: bus 218 takes you from S-Bahn station Wannsee to the ferry to Pfaueninsel. There is no restaurant or cafe on the island, but restaurant "Wirtshaus zur Pfaueninsel" is located next to the bus stop. You'll need a ticket for zones AB and a ferry ticket for 3 Euro/ person that includes the entrance fee for the island.

Don't hesitate to ask further questions, when you have decided where you want to go.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
132 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trips from Berlin

Thanks leistrahl! Such great advice. Would all 5 locations be stroller and child friendly? Will then read up and decide on one or the other :)

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
1,797 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trips from Berlin

The only problem I could think of is the smaller rose garden on Pfaueninsel, which may be a bit tricky with a stroller. And perhaps if it has been raining a lot the days before, some footpaths may be hard to use, since they usually have a loose surface in the parks or wood.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
19,336 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trips from Berlin

3 to 4 days isn't very long, even for sightseeing in Berlin itself but Potsdam is lovely, both the picturesque Old Town and all the parks and palaces.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
24,478 posts
523 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trips from Berlin

With 3-4 Days in Berlin definitely would recommend only maybe using 1 of those for day trips and Potsdam certainly fits the bill as you can use your ABC ticket to get there.

London, United...
Level Contributor
16,455 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trips from Berlin

The Pfaueninsel might be the best option for you, with your almost-two-year-old in mind. I think s/he would enjoy the peacocks that wander around, and the area where they breed: there are lots of beautiful birds to look at. All around the island there are interesting buildings, and some lovely fountains. And there is somewhere to eat: the liegewiese café in the centre of the island does good, simple food and drink. (But the Wirtshaus leitstrahl mentions is good too.)

You can reach the Pfaueninsel by boat, on Stern und Kreis's Seven Lakes tour. On a nice day this makes a lovely trip. It's a circular tour, and after you've visited the island you can return on a later boat, or by bus (hourly, at, as I remember, two minutes past each hour). It's a beautiful trip, and the island itself is beautiful too. It would be a more relaxing day than Potsdam, where there is so much to see: a good deal more than you can fit in in a single day, even without a child in a stroller!

www.sternundkreis.de/en/SundK/Home/K256.htm

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
474 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trips from Berlin

If you plan to go soon: There are now construction works at the S-Bahn rails (kind of urban rail) between Berlin and Potsdam (exactly between stations Wansee and Griebnitzsee). The rails of the normal trains are fine, thus you should use regional trains (f.i line RE1) and no S-Bahn until September 12th.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
132 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day trips from Berlin

Thanks leitstrahl for that tip on Pfaueninsel.

Lynda, we are doing Munich before Berlin but want to see something away from the city as well hence are considering this day trip.

jordansbulls, not sure how much sightseeing we want to do. Just relax and enjoy the sights so to speak.

Alabastron, thanks much for that vote of confidence on Pfaueninsel. Just curious to know, my husband and me don't do too well on very long journeys in the water. Does the ride tend to get bumpy or is it smooth cruising?

Michael35l, we are going in October 1st week. Thanks anyways.

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
1,797 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day trips from Berlin

It's a cruise on the river Havel and it's very smooth. By the way, even if you go to Pfaueninsel on a cruise, you'll still have to use the ferry to the island since the jetty for the cruising boat is next to the restaurant and not on the island itself.

The "Kaffeegarten" on Pfaueninsel, Alabastron mentioned, isn't really a cafe. It's more like a kiosk with limited outdoor seating and it might not always be open. So I wouldn't rely on that, but if you take a cruise, you can get meals and drinks on the boat.

I agree with Alabastron, this would be a nice combination. The "World Heritage Cruise" would even take you along Neuer Garten, Glienicker Bruecke and Park Babelsberg to the inner city of Potsdam, where you could take the regional train or S-Bahn S7 back to Berlin.

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
17,189 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Day trips from Berlin

Bad Saarow is an old wealthy spa town on the lovely Scharmuetzelsee, a large lake. It can easily be reached by train and there are plenty of cafés and restaurants. It's full of 19th century mansions which have now been restored to their full glory, leafy streets and the lakeside has ducks and swans.