We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking For Hotel Advice

Ayr, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
195 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Looking For Hotel Advice

Hi there

My friend and I have decided we'd like to go a city break to Berlin around November/December time. We're both females in our early 20s. We plan on doing the usual touristy history stuff and visiting the Olympic stadium. Would also be visiting Christmassy stuff if we go in December.

Thing is, I've only ever been on package beach holidays and I have no idea where to start in terms of places to stay. Would appreciate any advice. We're planning to go for roughly 4/5 nights.

Thanks!

Insider Tour
City Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, Day Trips
SANDEMANs NEW Europe - Berlin
Private Tours, Bar, Club & Pub Tours, City Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours
Fat Tire Tours Berlin
City Tours, Segway Tours, Bike Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
Original Berlin Walks
Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Cultural Tours, City Tours, Walking Tours
Bedfordshire...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
10,475 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking For Hotel Advice

Hi, Rachel! Tell us what your budget per night is and what sort of thing you are looking for (hostel/cheap hotel/posh hotel?) and we will be able to give you better advice. For first-time visitors, it is usually recommended that you stay in the centre of the former Eastern part of the city. This is called 'Mitte'. You might try to do an initial search by selecting the 'hotels' link at the top of the page and narrowing your search by area and budget. You will find that hotels are cheaper than in most big cities, such as London, Paris, Barcelona, even Edinburgh or Glasgow.

Happy hunting!

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
4,394 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking For Hotel Advice

How about "Ostel"? It's a bit far to the East, so it might take you a few minutes longer to get to the sights by subway - but it's decorated in original GDR style and it's quite affordable.

I haven't stayed there yet, but when I go to Berlin again, I might.

Edited: 31 August 2014, 12:39
London, United...
Level Contributor
18,442 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking For Hotel Advice

4-5 nights is a short time for a big, spread-out city, so I would suggest you consider staying as close as you can to most of the things you are likely to want to see and do. That really means Mitte. The areas I'd look around in are Hackescher Markt and Rosenthaler Platz, but if you can answer Pericoloso's question about your budget we may be able to make more specific suggestions.

You haven't said that you want to stay in a hostel, but if you do, there are good ones that are more central than the one that Petra mentions - Ostel isn't that far out, but if I'm visiting a place for the first time I want to stay within walking distance of at least some of the major sights and museums, and you may feel the same.

Edited: 31 August 2014, 13:02
Ayr, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
195 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking For Hotel Advice

Thank you for the suggestions, I will take a look at the Mitte area.

4/5 nights was the initial thought but we may extend it by a day or 2 the more we research the city.

As for budget, I'm currently unsure of specific prices but I'd imagine somewhere middle of the road. It doesn't need to be cheapest of the cheap but not 5 star either. Will have a look around and come back to yous :)

London, United...
Level Contributor
18,442 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking For Hotel Advice

Have a look at the the Adina Apart-Hotel at Hackescher Markt. I'm not sure what you mean by middle of the road, but their rates are what I would call middle of the road. :0) It's a three-star hotel, with four-star amenities (gym, sauna, spa) and they offer a great deal for what they charge. It's right in the middle of one of the nicest areas for tourists, with plenty of restaurants, cafés and bars around, and near many of the main tourist attractions, including the five museums of the Museum Island. I've just done a dummy check for you for a hypothetical 6-night stay, 26 November-2 December, and their studios are being offered at €109, their 1-bedroom apartments at €143. Having a kitchen gives you the option of doing your own breakfast, which can save you a bit of money, and even their studios give you a lot more space than an ordinary hotel room. I've stayed at another of the Adinas, and can recommend them.

adina.eu/adina-apartment-hotel-berlin-hackes…

You can read the TripAdvisor reviews here:

tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g187323-d1823…

Another possibility is the Circus Hotel/Hostel at Rosenthaler Platz. The area is equally good for eating and drinking, and very nearly as good for proximity to the sights:

http://www.circus-berlin.de/

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
31,342 posts
588 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking For Hotel Advice

For touristy things start off with a walking tour to peak your interests.

(berlinwalks.de/public/…Discover)

berlinwalks.de/public/…mainsights

Ayr, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
195 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking For Hotel Advice

We've had a wee look and came across the H2 hotel Alexanderplatz. Anyone stayed there or know of it?

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
31,342 posts
588 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Looking For Hotel Advice

"We've had a wee look and came across the H2 hotel Alexanderplatz. Anyone stayed there or know of it?"

Have not but here is a map view of where the area is and what attractions and restaurants are around. Click on Restaurants and Things to Do.

tripadvisor.com/…MAPVIEW

For instance the Hofbrau Munchen Berlin is right by it.

Edited: 03 September 2014, 16:34
Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
1,797 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Looking For Hotel Advice

The Hofbrau Munchen Berlin certainly is something one should have experienced, otherwise a visit to Berlin would be incomplete...

But seriously Rachel, the H2 is not far away from Hackescher Markt and Alte Schoenhause Str. with all the shops, restaurants and pubs around. Though the location next to busy Karl-Liebknecht-Str. may not be thrilling, the hotel is quite new and you'd only have to cross Karl-Liebknecht-Str. in front of the hotel, walk a few meters along Hirtenstr. and turn left into Rosa-Luxemburg-Str. at the second crossing to see a different world. Just continue moving westwards for more...

And the H2 is on historic grounds as well, Jason Bourne once called Pamela Landy here...

Edited: 04 September 2014, 09:13
Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
5,708 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Looking For Hotel Advice

Hmm, I found Alexanderplatz rather depressing. It's far away (with good connections) and I would not choose that area to stay several nights.