We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning for Berlin

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
372 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
Planning for Berlin

My girfriend and I are off to Berlin in about 3 weeks. As we are only there for three nights we want to make the most of our time there. We want to see as much of the sights as we can but we also want to have a lot of 'downtime' (i.e. drinking beer in nice bars!) as well which I feel is just as important.

Anyway, we land around 12.30 in the afternoon, heading to Hotel-Pension Bregenz so I would estimate we'll be able to hit the city by around 3.30pm. I don't expect to get much sightseeing in from this time so can anyone suggest a good area for us to spend our first hours in Berlin? Somewhere we can enjoy a nice budget dinner and perhaps just walk around the streets, chancing upon great bars, etc.

We'll start with the tourist sights the next morning, is a "Hop-on, Hop-Off" Bus tour advisable for this or should we just use public transport?

Mentioned in this post
Berlin
Berlin
Germany
Hotel-Pension Bregenz
Hotel-Pension Bregenz
358 Reviews
Berlin, Germany
Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
14,363 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning for Berlin

The bus lines 100 and 200 (double deck buses) are just as good as any "hop on hop off" buses (minus canned commentaries) and are a part of the normal transportation network. Otherwise, since Berlin is very spread out, using U- and S-Bahn will be necessary.

Mentioned in this post
Berlin
Berlin
Germany
N. Ireland
Level Contributor
154 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning for Berlin

My daughter and I had a 2 night break in Berlin, just returned last Thursday.

I would highly recommend a walking tour with Insider Tours. A great way to experience the city through its history in an uncomplicated but informative way. (We had Kenny who was brilliant at giving the facts with a touch of humour!) We went on The Famous Walk tour which covers the major sites.

You will find info. on www.insidertour.com.

Mentioned in this post
Berlin
Berlin
Germany
Insider Tour
Insider Tour
13,163 Reviews
Berlin, Germany
Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
1,366 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning for Berlin

Hi,

you can easily spend the first hours in the area of your Hotel. The Ku'damm area is one of the main tourist areas in Berlin with many many shops, restaurants and bars and some important sights of course. In the evening you could head for the Savignyplatz area which is in walking distance to your Hotel. It's perfect for a nice dinner. I can't recommend something special, though. BerlinGal knows the area much better than I do.

;-)

Mentioned in this post
Berlin
Berlin
Germany
Savignyplatz
Savignyplatz
155 Reviews
Berlin, Germany
New Jersey, USA
Level Contributor
139 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning for Berlin

Trust your host at the hotel. He'll have maps, pens and highlighters ready when you arrive.

Have cash for the restaurants around the corner.

Have a great trip. You picked a great place to stay. I left a review for it a few months ago.

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
1,702 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Planning for Berlin

It's probably best to explore the area near your hotel for the first few hours. You could head to the Ku'Damm and have a look around the shops (the food department of the KaDeWe is a must) and the Kaiser-Wilhelm-Memorial Church.

There are a couple of hop on/off tours available. The hotel will probably be able to give you some more information. Otherwise you could check out www.btm.de. Apart from bus tours there are quite a few English Walking Tours available, like Insider, Brewers or Berlin Walks. I did a half day tour with Brewers last year and found it pretty interesting even though I live in Berlin. Anyway, it's also easy to get around with public transport. Catch a bus 100 or 200 and you'll drive past quite a few sights already.

Not far from your hotel you'll find Olivaer Platz/Pariser Str. where you'll find a few bars and restaurants. A nice cafe/restaurant is directly on Olivaer Platz and is called Melrose. Another nice area for bars and restaurants is Savignyplatz which you can reach by foot from your hotel. A bit further away but easily reached by public transport is the area around Winterfeldmarkt and Goltzstraße. There you also find nice bars and restaurant. My favourite bar there is Mr. Hu at Goltzstraße.

A few nice restaurants not too far away from your hotel are

Cyclo (Vietnamese), Sächsische Str. 72

Amico (Italian), corner of Goethe- and Grolmannstr. (Savignyplatz)

Mar Y Sol (Tapas Bar), corner of Savignyplatz and Knesebeckstr.

Amy's Malaysia, Wilmersdorfer Str. 79

If you are in Berlin on a Wednesday or Saturday you should check out the market on Winterfeldplatz.

As for bars and restaurants you should definitely check out Prenzlauer Berg, Friedrichshain or Kreuzberg for one night.

Mentioned in this post
Kaiser Wilhelm Memorial Church
Kaiser Wilhelm Memorial...
3,769 Reviews
Berlin, Germany
Insider Tour
Insider Tour
13,163 Reviews
Berlin, Germany
Berlin
Berlin
Germany
Savignyplatz
Savignyplatz
155 Reviews
Berlin, Germany
Mar y Sol
Mar y Sol
460 Reviews
Berlin, Germany
Prenzlauer Berg
Prenzlauer Berg
523 Reviews
Berlin, Germany
Friedrichshain
Friedrichshain
123 Reviews
Berlin, Germany
Kreuzberg
Kreuzberg
355 Reviews
Berlin, Germany
Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
372 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Planning for Berlin

Thank you all. Some great tips there as usual. Think I'll follow the advice of walking near the hotel on the Thursday evening we get there and then up bright and early Friday morning for a walking tour, a couple of museums late Friday afternoon and the football on Saturday. Wish we had more time!

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
1,366 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Planning for Berlin

Hi,

some museums have free entry on thursday evenings (the last 4 hours of opening time...normally 18-22).

Here they are:

smb.spk-berlin.de/smb/sammlungen/index.php…

Maybe you could safe some money if you do the museum part just at you first evening?!?

:-)

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
372 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Planning for Berlin

Excellent - thank you. One last question (for now). Arriving at Schonefeld airport what's the best way to get to my hotel? Also (ok, 2 questions!) is there a 3-day transport pass available?

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
372 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Planning for Berlin

Thanks also to Tesstoo for the insider tours website, I found an excellent 36-page guide to download which included a really good city map.

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
1,366 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Planning for Berlin

Hi,

you can look for the easiest route here:

fahrinfo-berlin.de/fahrinfo/bin/query.bin/en…

To: Bregenzer Strasse 5

Also check the inside article:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187323-s301/Berlin:G…

There just are daily tickets (5,80 p.p.) or 7 day tickets (~25€ p.p.).

But there are also some special tickets for tourists, though:

www.vbbonline.de/index.php…