We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

December 24th - any shops open?

UK
Level Contributor
220 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
December 24th - any shops open?

Time for someone to help me! Shops are usually open Christmas eve morning, but this year it's a Sunday, so is it the usual Sunday or will some places be open?

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
1,695 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: December 24th - any shops open?

Good question!

In the past shops were - with a few exceptions - closed when the 24th December was a Sunday. Not sure how it is handled now with the law changes regarding the opening hours.

Basically the shops in Berlin are allowed to open their shops between 1 and 8pm on the 4 Advent Sunday before Christmas. At least that's the information I've found so far. The changes are pretty new. This year the 4th Advent Sunday falls together with Christmas Eve on the 24th.

I've searched the net a bit but I couldn't find anything regarding the allowed opening hours for the 24th December. Just assuming that hasn't changed than theoretically the shops would be allowed to open up at 1pm (as it is an Advent Sunday) but would have to close again at 2pm (as it is Christmas Eve).

Personally I would be prepared that the shops will be closed. The changes regarding the opening hours are pretty new so I think especially the smaller shops wont have the manpower to offer much longer opening hours than they do now.

2. Re: December 24th - any shops open?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 August 2009, 06:19