We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Renting an apartment - Friedrichshain or Neukolln?

Which Berlin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
UK
Level Contributor
27 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Renting an apartment - Friedrichshain or Neukolln?

Hi

I am visiting Berlin for 2 months in April 2007 for work.

I am looking for an apartment for rent. I've been looing on the internet and I am considering two areas:

Friedrichshain or Neukolln

Can anybody tell me what these areas are like? Are they safe? Nice places to rent for a couple of months. What's good/bad about them.

The rent in Neukolln is much cheaper - probably a lower-income area but is it a nice place? Is it safe.

While Friedrichshain e.g. Simplonstrasse is more expensive - is it a nice area, worth paying a bit more for?

Which is better Friedrichshain or Neukolln?

Any advice gratefully received....

Thanks

Berlin
Level Contributor
432 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Renting an apartment - Friedrichshain or Neukolln?

If I had to choose between the two boroughs I'd definitely rent an apartment in Friedrichshain. You mentioned Simplonstr. (Friedrichshain) which actually is in a very good area for enjoying the Berlin nightlife (relaxed dining and drinking) adjacent to Simon-Dach-Strasse. Closest S-Bahn and U-Bahn stops would be Warschauer Strasse (Bus and tram close by as well) if you want to look that up in the Berlin Transit Map just to get in idea of where you could be based.

Berlin transit map:

vbbonline.de/download/…su_d_berlin.pdf

Berlin boroughs:

…hu-berlin.de/fpm/…pst04062.jpg

Friedrichshain is in the former east of Berlin, a mainly residential area with many old buildings (though not everywhere), especially area you mentioned. Many young families moved here and you still find those little shops and stores you won't find in the high street. Friedrichshain has become increasingly popular with the young crowd for nightife though Prenzlauer Berg is probably THE place to be.

Neukölln certainly has some nice spots however it's reputation is not that good really. Unemployment and crime tends to be a bigger issue in that area than in Friedrichshain. Large parts of the Turkish community live here. If you want to experience multicultural Berlin I'd rather stay in Kreuzberg which is nicer for its buildings and atmosphere.

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
1,695 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Renting an apartment - Friedrichshain or Neukolln?

I would probably also choose Friedrichshain. Friedrichshain is a nice area with also some good cafes/bars and restaurants around.

Neukölln has some nice(ish) areas but also some not so nice areas ... depeding on where in Neukölln the apartment is. Berlin is generelly a safe city and so far I've personally not experienced crime or problems whatever area I was in in Berlin. Anyway, there are certainly some areas in Neukölln where I might not feel so safe at night which doesn't mean that these areas are really dangerous.

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
1,366 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Renting an apartment - Friedrichshain or Neukolln?

Hi,

I'd also take the appartment in Friedrichshain... it is worth paying a bit more!

:-)

NYC
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Renting an apartment - Friedrichshain or Neukolln?

Definitely Friedrichshain! It's so fantastic, so youthful and energetic and magnetic. It's far edgier than Prenaluerberg, I think, and yet still very lovely and relaxed, especially on weekends. Plus there's a fabulous weekend market! And lots of good music venues.

berlin
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Renting an apartment - Friedrichshain or Neukolln?

I would take Friedr/hain over Neukolln any day. But if you need to be near Neukolln then maybe take a look at Kreuzberg.

6. Re: Renting an apartment - Friedrichshain or Neukolln?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2009, 18:16