We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tour guide from Warnemunde to Berlin and return

Florida USA
7 posts
Save Topic
Tour guide from Warnemunde to Berlin and return

Has anyone arrived via cruise ship into Warnemunde and taken a tour to Berlin. We are a party of eight who would like to be picked up at the port in a van, driven to Berlin, arranged for a guide to accompany us, and tour the city of Berlin. We do not want a walking tour for four hours. I have contacted New Berlin Tours and Brewers Berlin Tours but would like a recommendation from anyone who has used them.

Babs

Art & Tours
Sightseeing Tours
Berlin & Beyond
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours
Trabi-XXL Trabant Limousines
Private Tours, City Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
39,882 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Tour guide from Warnemunde to Berlin and return

Warnemünde to Berlin and back:

http://www.german-transfer.de/

> We do not want a walking tour for four hours.

A shorter tour than a short tour?

I know that Brewer's 8 hours tours last often easily 10 hours or more. (They will of course stick to a schedule if it must be.)

But as such a walking tour is a good idea. Much better than one of those tour buses.

Brewer's is probably the best walking tour company. But also New Berlin Tours and others are really good (according to the many reviews I've seen so far. Nobody really makes the same tour with different companies.)

- - -

Generally I'm sceptical to make Berlin as a day trip from Warnemünde. Travel time is easily more than the time you'll have left for sightseeing. And Berlin is a damn huge place. To experience the unique vibe of this city you really have to stay there for at least 3-4 days.

There are more awarding destinations for a day trip closer to Warnemünde in my view.

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
1,705 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tour guide from Warnemunde to Berlin and return

Berlin is definitely worth a visit but to be honest I'm not sure if it worth it. It will be a rushed visit.

It will take you at least 2.5 hours (maybe even more, depending on traffic) to get to Berlin so in total you'll spend at least 5 hours on the road.

Why don't you want to do a walking tour? Even the shorter tours are quite interesting and you'll see and get a lot of information in a short time. I did one with Brewers (not sure if they offer a half day anymore) and thought it was pretty good and I have lived in Berlin most of my live. Other tour companies are Insider Tours and Berlin Walks.

Another option would be spending your day in Warnemünde itself and Rostock. Especially Warnemünde is a very nice and cute seaside town.

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
4,867 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Tour guide from Warnemunde to Berlin and return

If your cruise ship offers a tour to Berlin, and you are determined to go to Berlin, take the cruise line offering. These tours are on special trains. If there is a delay anywhere along the way, the ship will wait for you. This isn't the case if you are doing your ":own" thing.

I persoanlly advise against any of thje day trips to Berlin. It is tiring and you really don't see much of the city, even on the conducted tours that are included.

There are lots of nice places to visit near Warnemuende, including Rostock and sea spas along the shore. We took a train trip to Luebeck and loved it, and we were back on board for dinner, long before the Berlin crowd returned.

Check www.bahn.de for schedules. I am sure that there discounted tickets available for parties of eight. Just check at the Warnemuende RR station, which is usallay within walking distance from there the ships are docked.

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
4,867 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Tour guide from Warnemunde to Berlin and return

If your cruise ship offers a tour to Berlin, and you are determined to go to Berlin, take the cruise line offering. These tours are on special trains. If there is a delay anywhere along the way, the ship will wait for you. This isn't the case if you are doing your ":own" thing.

I persoanlly advise against any of thje day trips to Berlin. It is tiring and you really don't see much of the city, even on the conducted tours that are included.

There are lots of nice places to visit near Warnemuende, including Rostock and sea spas along the shore. We took a train trip to Luebeck and loved it, and we were back on board for dinner, long before the Berlin crowd returned.

Check www.bahn.de for schedules. I am sure that there discounted tickets available for parties of eight. Just check at the Warnemuende RR station, which is usually within walking distance from where the ships are docked.

Brisbane
11 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Tour guide from Warnemunde to Berlin and return

Hi Babs

It took us 2 hours each way by rail between Berlin and Rostock. Warnemunde is about 30 mins further again. For my mind Rostock and Warnemunde are a nice day trip. Rostock Altstadt is nice. From the Salmon pink town hall to the ancient Marienkirche it is a lovely little city. Kropliener strasse is also nice. Trams are fast, cheap and easy to use. Warnemunde is smaller but much more beautiful. Nordsee beaches are lovely! The local beer Rostocker Pilsner is also worth a try.

For my mind i would do Berlin when you have the time to enjoy this amazing city. We spend no less than a week at a time there. This June we will stay for two weeks. But if you are that determined. In 2005 we took a number 100 bus from Zoologisher garten railway station. It was a good way to see a bit of Berlin. I am not sure if this is still accurate though. Someone else may be able to confirm this or not ??

Good luck !

Berlin Germany
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Tour guide from Warnemunde to Berlin and return

Dear Babsinmotion,

Berlin Sightseeing Tours is organizing highly recommanded day tours to Berlin for cruise ship passengers arriving at the cruise port of Warnemuende / Germany.

Highlights on the 4 hour Berlin tour:

Brandenburg Gate, Reichstag Parlament Building and new governmental quarters, The Federal Chancellery, Berlin TV Tower, Olympic Stadium if your wish, Original Berlin Wall, Checkpoint Charlie, Berlin Cathedral, Museum Island, Unter den Linden Avenue, Charlottenburg Palace, Bellevue Palace, Statue of King Friedrich II., Diplomatic Quarters, new business center Potsdamer Platz, Gendarmenmarkt square with German & French Dome and Concert House, The State Opera House, Kurfuerstendamm Avenue, Memoral Church, House of International Cultures, Berlin Radio Tower, Berlin Exhibition Grounds, Spree River, Humboldt University, New Guard House, Arsenal Building, the Victory Column, Tiergarten Central Park, the Red City Hall, Alexander Square, ... and many more

Furter information on this website:

www.berlin-sightseeing-tours.de/english.html

or here:

berlin-sightseeing-tours.de/cruiseship_tours…

Mentioned in this post
Germany
Germany
Europe
Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
2,225 posts
549 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tour guide from Warnemunde to Berlin and return

New Berlin Tours free tour wass great (see their website)...but I agree that Berlin demands much more time...6 days wasn't enough for me last month...i'm itching to go back to see more...

Perrysburg, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,165 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tour guide from Warnemunde to Berlin and return

I don't know how you could see all those places listed above in the Berliner Sightseeing Tours in four hours unless all you did was rapidly drive past them...Berlin is a wonderful city, and after spending 6 full days there we only scratched the surface. We spent more than four hours at Museum Island alone...I think I'd choose another option.

London, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tour guide from Warnemunde to Berlin and return

Having seen several hundred Americans do this by special train where all was laid on to run like clockwork I saw the rag tag bunch return from the day out utterly exhausted and really not having seen very much. All they could say was that they had ticked yet another city off their world map - surley this is not the way to see a city like Berlin!! Its rather like arriving at St.Petersburg and rushing to Moscow for the day - utter lunacy!! There are places within an easy drive of the port especially if you are willling to have a driver and guide.

Mentioned in this post
St. Petersburg
St. Petersburg
Northwestern District, Russia
Moscow
Moscow
Central Russia, Russia
London, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tour guide from Warnemunde to Berlin and return

Having seen several hundred Americans do this by special train where all was laid on to run like clockwork I saw the rag tag bunch return from the day out utterly exhausted and really not having seen very much. All they could say was that they had ticked yet another city off their world map - surley this is not the way to see a city like Berlin!! Its rather like arriving at St.Petersburg and rushing to Moscow for the day - utter lunacy!! There are places within an easy drive of the port especially if you are willling to have a driver and guide.

Mentioned in this post
St. Petersburg
St. Petersburg
Northwestern District, Russia
Moscow
Moscow
Central Russia, Russia