We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
412 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Coming to Berlin 10-14 Jun

Hi, I'll be coming to Berlin and staying at the Estrel Hotel and Convention Center. From what I understand it's located in the old East Berlin side. A question, does anyone know what there is to do in the area? Even Trip advisor had little information.

I must add, this is a business trip and a different location wasn't an option.

Thanks.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Coming to Berlin 10-14 Jun

visit berlin websites for tourism, you will find everything you need ,events, and what is happening each months...good luck

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
412 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Coming to Berlin 10-14 Jun

thanks Roo, as I've checked and there isn't much posted on the various websites in regards to the location and relationship of the conference center to the surrounding areas.

I'm just trying to get a locals perspective.

KG
Oregon
Level Contributor
1,907 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Coming to Berlin 10-14 Jun

My 22 year old son lived in East Berlin last year going to German language school. I will see him next weekendand will try to get info for you. What age group are you in as that could make a difference as to what he recommends!? He really liked the East and chose to live on that side...cheaper..more relaxed..casual..

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
103 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Coming to Berlin 10-14 Jun

Hi,

the Estrel Hotel is really far away from everything. In this area is nothing interesting to see or to do.

Take a trip to city west or city east, depends on what you would like to see. If you going to use public transportation it will take approx. 30 minutes (more info about transportation at www.bvg.de).

Alternative use a taxi - its approx. 15 minutes to each city area and will cost about 15 Euro.

Kind Regards

Liverpool UK
Level Contributor
175 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Coming to Berlin 10-14 Jun

Hi, well what a coincedence, I was going to post exactly the same question nearer June. I am travelling to Berlin June 10th to 13th, there will be 12 of us there for the weekend. Will be watching out for your replies and will be checking the local websites nearer the time.

Happy travelling.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
412 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Coming to Berlin 10-14 Jun

Thanks,

that's what I was afraid of pertaining to the location of the hotel and surrounding areas.

Time to start looking at other areas in which to enjoy myself. As to answer the post. I'm 38.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
412 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Coming to Berlin 10-14 Jun

KG,

thanks, I'm 38 and single, so there is going to be a difference in the things we like. However, any information is better than none so please by all means ask away.

007, I figured the sooner the better as it would allow me to plan my trip enough in advance I.E. restaurants, bars, sites to see and such. Actually, I'm tempted to rent a car for the days I'm there.

I'd still like additional opinions from the locals. Books are ok, but firsthand suggestions are far more informative.

Florida
13 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Coming to Berlin 10-14 Jun

Take the subway (U-Bahn) to the Museum Insel (Museum Island) near the center of the city - it has enough museums to keep you occupied for days. Don't miss the ancient civilization artifacts at the "Pergamon Museum". It will blow you away. You can take narrated 1 hour cruises on the Spree River nearby also.

Berlin's tourist website is great: berlin-tourist-information.de

Dusseldorf, Germany
Level Contributor
172 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Coming to Berlin 10-14 Jun

If you go to Berlin you want to experience the old and the new. The eastern part of town is the more exciting one - in my opinion. If you go to 'Mitte', 'Prenzlauer Berg' and 'Friedrichshain' than you will find a lot of bars, restaurants and small design shops & galleries. This is where all the younger people and artists go.

You can reach almost all areas with the public transportation - there is always a connection - all day around. During the night the connections are done by night bus - I do not know if they run out to the convention center. Otherwise, parking is not much fun in the center...

You can go to the 'Lützow Bar' (Lützowplatz) for a nice happy hour cocktail and visit a lot of museums in East & West Berlin.

Shopping is also nice at the Ku'damm (Kurfürstendamm).

The new buildings around the 'Reichstag' are quite impressive - the Germans build a lot of new official buildings. Look also for the new 'Anhalter Bahnhof' - impressive new architecture for a train station.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
20,352 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Coming to Berlin 10-14 Jun

Someone's mentioned the one-hour boat trip. If you have time I'd recommend you do the 3-hour one as it's a circular round the city on river and canals. Shows you the east and west, old and new . The one-hour one doubles back on itself so you see a much shorter stretch twice.