We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ferry to Germany

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
10 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
ferry to Germany

Does anyone have any good information on how to get from Sweden and/or Denmark into Germany by ferry? What is the name of the ferry one should take? Which one takes the longest time, which one takes the shortest time, and which one is the best? I heard there was such a thing as traveling by night, sleeping on the ferry---how comfortable is that? What are the hours for that? Thank you in advance for your help! I'm leaving tomorrow for Europe, running out of time now.

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,939 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ferry to Germany

>Does anyone have any good information on how to get from Sweden and/or Denmark into Germany by ferry?

Basically all ferry connections from Sweden go to East Germany (Rostock, etc.). You seem to go towards Paris?

What is the name of the ferry one should take?

http://www.scandlines.de/en/main.htm

"Vogelfluglinie" - because it allows you to travel "as the crow flies" instead of roundabout.

Which one takes the longest time, which one takes the shortest time, and which one is the best?

The best one is the one that is on your way. Sorry, but there is no ferry ranking.

>I heard there was such a thing as traveling by night, sleeping on the ferry

Not on your route (assuming you start in Copenhagen). If you go to Norway, or across the Baltic, it would be an option.

>---how comfortable is that?

Depends on the class of accomodation you book...

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
10 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ferry to Germany

If all ferries go close to East Germany, should I then book my first hotel stay over in Berlin??? Or would that be too far east? I am traveling two days through Germany and ending up in Amsterdam on the third day. Thank you in advance for your response!

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,939 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ferry to Germany

>If all ferries go close to East Germany, should I then book my first hotel stay over in Berlin???

Not all ferries, only the direct ferries from Copenhagen. Copenhagen is on the Baltic side of Denmark, not on the North Sea side.

> Or would that be too far east?

If you want to go through Berlin there is nothing wrong with it except that it is a big detour - but I don't recommend staying in Berlin if you don't stay for a few nights.

Hamburg or (even better) Lübeck would rather be on your way. No matter whether you travel by car or by train...

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ferry to Germany

>Not all ferries, only the direct ferries from Copenhagen. Copenhagen is on the Baltic side of Denmark, not on the North Sea side.

There are no ferries from Copenhagen to Germany. The only ferries between Denmark and Germany are Rodby-Puttgarden and Gedser-Rostock.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
38,547 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: ferry to Germany

map

segelfliegen-in-celle.de/images_schweden2006…

From Copenhagen (Danish: København) there are 2 main routes to Germany (if your final destination is Amsterdam).

1. (red)

This route is using the ferries between Rødby and Puttgarden crossing the Fehmarn Belt. That's a 45 minutes trip on the ferry.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fehmarn_Belt

http://www.scandlines.de/en/main.htm

2. (green)

This route goes via the Great Belt Bridge (a toll bridge).

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Belt_Fixed_Link

http://www.storebaelt.dk/english

The bridge is cheaper than the ferry. The route is however longer thus you need more fuel. Travel time wise there is not much difference between both routes.

G31
Minden, Germany
Level Contributor
1,015 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ferry to Germany

Hi. can I just say that it seems to me you are just not prepared at all for your trip which is starting so soon? Maybe you should buy a couple of guide books, a lonely planet guide on Europe (western Europe or Europe on a shoestring or something along those lines) and a good map and read them on the plane when you come over here? By leaving it all to the last minute and not even having a slight grasp of geography and transport, you are making this trip quite stressful and you are also missing out on a lot. I do hope you have a nice trip!

7. Re: ferry to Germany

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 January 2011, 06:19
Get answers to your questions about Bremen
Recent Conversations