We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bremen for kids??

Which Bremen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dublin
Level Contributor
21 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Bremen for kids??

I am trying to find somewhere to bring the kids (3&7) in the run up to Christmas for a 'magical' experience. Michael O Leary is dictating where we go!!!! (ryanair cheap flights) so I was looking at Berlin then I saw Bremen? I know nothing about it except theres something to do with a donkey and hen?!

I love Germany and Austria and the people/culture and I would love to bring the clan. My question is... is Bremen a good place to bring the kids??

Is there other things to do apart from the market?

Is the area/market kid friendly or aimed at an older visitor?

Most importantly: is it safe, clean etc, I know from experience that German and Austrian towns put us to shame back home when it comes to cleanliness and safety but I always need to be sure just in case!!

jik
bremen, germany
Level Contributor
130 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bremen for kids??

Hi,

the Christmas main market is magic for young and old(was voted in the 5 top best in Germany last year),there's also a medieval Christmas market along the river.They run from Thurs 28.11-Mon 23.12.To put your kids in the mood,you should read/google them the fairytale of the town musicians before coming,then show them the bronze statue of them by the town hall on the market square(hold the donkey's legs and make a wish!)

Bremen is clean,safe,and the locals love practising their English.

Should you decide to come,tell me your rough dates and I'll try to help you with more tips for Kids.

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
9,559 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Bremen for kids??

Not donkey and hen - donkey, dog, cat and rooster. It's a Brothers Grimm fairy tale called "The Town Musicians of Bremen".

Here is the story: …wikisource.org/wiki/The_Bremen_Town_Musicia…

According to the story they never arrive in Bremen, but they are there, in the middle of the town by the city hall: …wikipedia.org/wiki/…Bremen.band.500pix.jpg

Prestatyn, United...
Level Contributor
105 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bremen for kids??

There is a beautiful park (the buergerpark) beyond the train station , they have a small animal enclosure ,lovely boating lake and its great for bike riding. Granted it s winter but this is a great place to visit anytime of year and family friendly.

Bremen town centre great to see on foot or on a short boat trip down the river .Yes it is safe and spotlessly clean.

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
9,559 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Bremen for kids??

You may run into a weird and funny custom in front of the cathedral, especially on weekends, which is entertaining to watch for a moment: a young man sweeping the stairs, or a young lady carefully polishing the door handles, while the respective friends are watching and cheering him/her on and having a real good time... Needless to say that this activity involves a *few* drinks.

The background is this: If a guy turns 30 and isn't yet married, he has to sweep the stairs of the Dom (to show what a neat husband he'd make?) until a girl comes and releases him with a kiss. Same goes for women but they have to clean the door handles of the Dom portals instead of sweeping. This custom has spread to other cities and towns in the North but its origins are in Bremen. Maybe in former times this was taken seriously as a way to find a partner for marriage... nowadays it is an excellent excuse to party and make fun of the birthday guy or gal.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
19,553 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bremen for kids??

Bremen is lovely, and a more manageable size than Berlin for a short visit with kids. Years ago I went to the ethnological museum (Übersee-Museum), that might appeal to them (totem poles etc) . Website seems to be only in German but lots of pics uebersee-museum.de/ausstellungen/…

Someone recently asked a more general question about Christmas markets and after our answers also booked Bremen, not least because it was a snitch (34GBP return from Manchester!)

Well a cock(erel) not a hen but at least the name rang a bell for you!

jik
bremen, germany
Level Contributor
130 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bremen for kids??

Re: custom of single men sweeping cathedral steps on their 30th birthday. Traditon says she must be a virgin,to stop him sweeping,which is why many young Bremen future bridegrooms resort to inviting female toddlers to give them a peck on the cheek...

1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bremen for kids??

With a 3 and a 7 year old I would choose Bremen over Berlin any time. Not only because I am originally from Bremen, but I have been to Berlin many times as well and find it a bit overwhelming for an adult at major travel times, unless you are on a business trip. I always loved the Bremen Christmas market, it spreads through the whole main downtown area with many unique little booths and even some rides. Unlike in the USA, any downtown city hustles with life,there are many shops and shopping centres in the are in case it rains.

The Uebersee- Museum is fun, but maybe boring for a 3 year old. I have not been back in 20 years, but noticed there is a new attraction called the Universum Bremen, a hands on science museum with over 250 samples for kids AND adults! http://www.universum-bremen.de/en/

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
29 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bremen for kids??

I'm curious to find out what you decided, Jik. We are looking for the best route between Amsterdam and Copenhagen and will be with three children in August (7, 10, 12 years old). Traveling from Canada for the first time to Europe I know everything will be new for the kids.

Is there enough to do in Bremen for a couple days before heading to Lubeck for a night or two and for the train to Copenhagen? We will see Hamburg on the way back as we will be there for a polterabend party.

Our other option right now is Cologne to Berlin to Copenhagen.

Any suggestions are great!

Thanks!

Cumbernauld
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
1,264 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bremen for kids??

If the kids and you like sports events I am sure you would enjoy the experience of seeing a football match at the Weserstadion. League starts around middle of August but they also have friendlies prior to this, in particular they hold a day of the fans where there are events on around the stadium prior to KO and the tickets for this are a lot cheaper than League matches.

My 8 year old enjoyed the Universum, we went for the after 4.30pm cheap tickets (being Scots!) but there's enough to keep the kids entertained for longer, also a nice play park outside.

My youngest would spend the whole day having us traveling around the tram network, it really is the city of trams. There's a tram museum that opens every second Sunday during the Summer. The Übersee museum has enough in it to easily occupy several hours. Lots of nice walks in the Bürgerpark and along the Weser.

One of the reasons we originally went to Bremen was as a base to visit the miniatur wunderland in Hamburg so consider that when you visit there.

10. Re: Bremen for kids??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 March 2015, 07:16
Get answers to your questions about Bremen