We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation from Hamburg train station to Hamburg Airport

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
9 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Transportation from Hamburg train station to Hamburg Airport

How long will a taxi ride around 11:00 am take from Hamburg Hbf (train station, coming from Rostock) to Hamburg Airport? And how much is the estimated taxi fare? Thanks in advance

8 replies to this topic
Dresden, Germany
Level Contributor
1,585 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transportation from Hamburg train station to Hamburg Airport

This should give you an idea.

www.taxi-calculator.com/taxi-fare-hamburg/41

Florida
Level Contributor
1,886 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transportation from Hamburg train station to Hamburg Airport

You take the train from Rostock to Hamburg I assume. You could continue your trip by public transportation. S1 (S-Bahn) goes directly to the airport. 35 minutes, frequent trains. The S1 starts at one end of the city, goes through the center and the main train station and then to Poppenbuettel at the other end. Part of the train will go to the airport instead of Poppenbuettel.

I hope an expert will come here with precise English language instructions for tickets and which carriages of the S1 train to take.

UK
Level Contributor
8,977 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transportation from Hamburg train station to Hamburg Airport

If you are arriving by train then taking a taxi to the airport makes no sense at all.

1) You can buy a ticket from Rostock to Hamburg Airport for the same price as a ticket from Rostock to Hamburg Hbf

2) Walking to the taxi rank will take longer than walking to the train

3) The journey is likely to be quicker by train

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
40,578 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Transportation from Hamburg train station to Hamburg Airport

> 1) You can buy a ticket from Rostock to Hamburg Airport for the same price as a ticket from Rostock to Hamburg Hbf

Not needed. As no matter which station you buy to you'll get with this distance a ticket to "Hamburg", i.e. a ticket good to any train (incl. S-Bahn) station in Hamburg.

There are S-Bahn trains of the line S1 every 10 minutes to the airport. Note that only a part of the S1 trains go to the airport - but this part is clearly marked.

UK
Level Contributor
8,977 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transportation from Hamburg train station to Hamburg Airport

Thanks for fare information. I am familiar with buying tickets to Hamburg Airport using regional trains from places in Schleswig-Holstein (where a ticket to "Hamburg" always means "anywhere within the central zones"), I wasn't sure what the situation was with journeys from further afield or journeys that involve IC/ICE trains. Now I know!

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
5,611 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transportation from Hamburg train station to Hamburg Airport

It actually works that way in almost all cities, Aviatrix.

Here‘s the official list for „same fare“ stations for your reference:

https://www.bahn.de/p/view/mdb/bahnintern/ag…

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
9 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Transportation from Hamburg train station to Hamburg Airport

I was not aware that the train goes from Rostock to Hamburg Airport. Of course, it makes sense to go directly to the airport. This is useful information. Thank you very much.

UK
Level Contributor
8,977 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Transportation from Hamburg train station to Hamburg Airport

It's not the same train. You change trains at Hamburg Hauptbahnhof (Central Station). But it's simply a case of getting off one train and onto another, and your ticket covers the whole journey.

Reply to: Transportation from Hamburg train station to Hamburg Airport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Hamburg
Recent Conversations