We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good German Resturant

London, United...
Level Contributor
262 posts
4 reviews
Good German Resturant

Hi.

I am staying I. Hamburg one night before a cruise. Can anyone suggest a good German resturant.

I am easy on buget for the right experience

Thanks

7 replies to this topic
Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
3,619 posts
53 reviews
1. Re: Good German Resturant

I like a long established restaurant in Hamburg which is called "Schlachterbörse" - excellent steaks:

http://www.schlachterboerse.de/index_en.html

https://goo.gl/maps/dzirBG7DtiS2

Just around the corner is Erika's Eck with Schnitzel and self-made Sauerfleisch:

http://www.erikas-eck.de/

Good cocktails with view over the town you can get in roof bar of Empire Riverside Hotel:

https://goo.gl/maps/QoJpR4Hyk292

Typical for Northern Germany is Labskaus - but I do not have a real good recommendation for this.

Dresden, Germany
Level Contributor
1,675 posts
23 reviews
2. Re: Good German Resturant

Erika's Eck? My partner & myself went there last year on the recommendation of a friend who lives in Altona. He too recommended the Schnitzel. Sadly we never got to experience it as the staff were so rude, we walked out before getting served. After being initially ignored, we were told "sit there but you must be gone in 40 minutes." "We're busy tonight." Problem solved as we left straightaway.

Having a look at recent reviews, it appears little has changed. My friend informed me it's normal behaviour there, but the food is good, so he puts up with it. OP be warned.

Edited: 21 March 2018, 20:28
Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
3,619 posts
53 reviews
3. Re: Good German Resturant

"After being initially ignored, we were told "sit there but you must be gone in 40 minutes." "We're busy tonight." Problem solved as we left straightaway." ... That was all?

Often the Northern hospitality is perceived as impersonal and as you called it "rude". For Northern Germany that was not rude - it was honest - means: they really liked you and wanted to tell you the truth and give their best to serve you. Honestly. My parents lived yor years at the coast far North of Hamburg :-) Even Hamburg is seen as too "softie" compared to some other Northern closed communities.

Please do not get me wrong: I do not want to tell you what to think about your experience but may be see it more as intercultural misunderstanding.

London, United...
Level Contributor
262 posts
4 reviews
4. Re: Good German Resturant

Thank you.

Dresden, Germany
Level Contributor
1,675 posts
23 reviews
5. Re: Good German Resturant

Nothing to do with northern hospitality whatsoever. Reviews suggest this establishment has form for this behaviour. It was rudeness with an entitled attitude. I witnessed other examples whilst waiting to be seated. A guy who requested another beer was told very abruptly; "no, wait.". If the management wish to take that tone with customers, fine. As customer I don't need to take it and will vote with my feet.

Edited: 22 March 2018, 05:36
Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
878 posts
6 reviews
6. Re: Good German Resturant

I've only been twice, but remember the personnel of Erika's Eck as reserved, but friendly Northern folks who joked a lot with us. But times change and with the Schanze and probably their restaurant getting more and more visitors, attitudes might have changed.

If you don't want to go to Schanze, there is also Frau Möller on Lange Reihe, and Hamburger Fischerstube on Colonnaden street, which I think is the oldest fish restaurant in Hamburg.

Edited: 26 March 2018, 07:34
Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
878 posts
6 reviews
7. Re: Good German Resturant

Fischerstube has an English menu. See: hamburger-fischerstube.de/karte/diningcard.p…

Reply to: Good German Resturant
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted