We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas Markets Hamburg or Lubeck - Or Both?

London, United...
Level Contributor
209 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Christmas Markets Hamburg or Lubeck - Or Both?

Hi guys,

Hope you can help. Me and my partner are looking to go away this December for a weekend and have found some super flights to Lubeck.

We would either be going for 2 or 3 nights. Would it be best to go to Hamburg or Lubeck for an overall weekend experience including christmas markets.

Or would it be best or logistical to spend one night at one place and 1/2 nights at another, and that way experience both.

Whats the best way of getting between both places?

Also I have heard about Ice World at Lubeck. Is this happening this year?

Thanks

Matthew

Hamburg, Germany
Level Contributor
412 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Christmas Markets Hamburg or Lubeck - Or Both?

Hi Matthew

It really depends on when you are going and for how long. The Luebck christmas market is great but really croweded at weekends to that you hardly see anything, have to push your way through. Some of the stalls are within the church and I once had to wait over an hour in the cold to get inside, where it was so crowded that I really didn't enjoy being in there much. So, if you stay 3 nights, you might go to the Lübeck Christmas market on e.g. Monday (Friday is kind of weekend already and also quite crowded).

Hamburg is much bigger than Luebeck and has more Christmas markets which are also very nice and some of them really special so you can easily spend the week-end there and enjoy yourself. There are also quite a lot of people but as there are many different markets, but you don't feel as much pushed around as in the narrow streets of Luebeck.

I'd therefore recommend going to Hamburg on the week-end and to Luebeck on a Monday.

In Hamburg, you can start opposite the main station, at Spitalerstrasse (pedestrian zone) and stroll along until you arrive at the Rathausmarkt (town hall market) where is a big Christmas market. For something more special, go to Jungfernstieg and Fleetinsel. They are both within walking distance from the Rathausmarkt but in different directions so you might want to go there on different days.

Near Rathausmarket and Junferstieg, there is the Gaensemarkt - so if you do not already feel exhausted, you can go on another small christmas market there.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
39,037 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Christmas Markets Hamburg or Lubeck - Or Both?

Lübeck is one of the core cities if it comes to Christmas traditions. Crowded or not. The city is also not by accident an UNESCO world heritage.

http://www.luebeck-tourism.de/

No Ice World this year.

There are frequent trains between Lübeck and Hamburg. If you use regional trains the SH tariff applies. This is a zone-to-zone local public transport tariff, which covers all local public transport in both cities.

http://www.hvv.com

www.stadtverkehr-luebeck.de/index.php…

London, United...
Level Contributor
209 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Christmas Markets Hamburg or Lubeck - Or Both?

Thanks for your advice guys. All taken on board. Now considering just going for 2 nights (Sunday to Tuesday). Is it perfectly doable to arrive at Lubeck and do one night in Hamburg and one night in Lubeck and fly back on Tuesday tea time?

We dont want to spend all the time travelling, but at the same time we would like to see all the xmas markets.

Thanks

Matt

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,157 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Christmas Markets Hamburg or Lubeck - Or Both?

Hi Matt,

I did not visit Lubeck Christmas market therefore cannot comment on it. However, I have been to Hamburg Christmas Market. It was very nice as there were lots of shops selling unique toys and christmas ornaments. I never am big on Christmas ornaments. Nevertheless, those found at Hamburg Christmas market were gorgeous. I think you can do both since it is only a short train ride from Lubeck.

5. Re: Christmas Markets Hamburg or Lubeck - Or Both?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 October 2009, 22:15
Get answers to your questions about Hamburg
Recent Conversations