We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nordbank Arena to the Airport

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
33 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Nordbank Arena to the Airport

Hi

I will be in Hamburg for one night for the Europa League Final and would like to know how easy it is to get from the stadium back to my hotel by the airport. I won't be travelling from the hotel to the stadium as I will probably be in the city centre for most of the day.

Is it difficult by public transport or should I go back into Hamburg and then out again to the airport? Or is a taxi a better option and if so does anyone have any idea how much it would cost?

Many thanks

Mentioned in this post
Hamburg
Hamburg
Germany
Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
39,898 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Nordbank Arena to the Airport

To get to/from the stadium by public transport is the preferred way. This is also included with your match ticket. You have time till 6am to complete your return trip to your hotel.

> I won't be travelling from the hotel to the stadium as I will probably be in the city centre for most of the day.

The normal route by public transport is via the city center. S-Bahn to the Hauptbahnhof (main train station) than to one of the S-Bahn stations near the stadium and than by shuttle buses. They will add extra capacity for the lines serving the stadium to cope with the demand.

> r is a taxi a better option and if so does anyone have any idea how much it would cost?

Don't know how realistic this. The direct distance from the stadium to the airport is approx. 12 km. Thus considerably less than the detour by the S-Bahn trains via the city center. May cost you EUR 20 for the distance. But it may be not that easy to find a taxi after the match. And if you stick in a traffic jam around the stadium you have to pay also for the waiting time.

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
33 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nordbank Arena to the Airport

Thanks abalada.

I've read many of your posts about transport in various German cities and they have always been very helpful.

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
33 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nordbank Arena to the Airport

I wasn't aware that getting to and from the stadium is included with the match ticket.

How does that work? I was going to buy a day ticket when I arrived in Hamburg.

Mentioned in this post
Hamburg
Hamburg
Germany
London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
3,904 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Nordbank Arena to the Airport

Tonterre,

I'm going to the game as well and I found these 2 links on the UEFA website which you might find useful.

uefa.com/MultimediaFiles/Download/Publicatio…

uefa.com/MultimediaFiles/Download/Publicatio…

It looks like they're suggesting separate routes for Fulham and Madrid fans. For Fulham you have to take the S1 to Othmarschen and then pick up a shuttle bus to the station (see the 2nd link). They'll also be shuttle buses after the game. I'm guessing you just turn up at one of the stations, show your match ticket and they let you through to the platforms.

The airport is also on the S1 line so you can get there from Othmarschen - you just need to make sure you get on a S1 train that terminates at Hamburg Airport (Flugaten). This actually goes back though the centre to get to the airport. Here's a link to the Hamburg U-bahn and S-bahn network.

www.hvv.de/pdf/fahrplaene/usar/USAR-Plan.pdf

We're actually staying in Berlin and coming to Hamburg for the day. After the game, we're going to find a late night bar, hopefully celebrating a Fulham victory, and then get the 6 am train back to Berlin where we're staying until Saturday.

Mentioned in this post
Madrid
Madrid
Community of Madrid, Spain
Hamburg
Hamburg
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
Germany
Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
130 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nordbank Arena to the Airport

Leave yourselves plenty of time to get to the stadium. I went to Celtic - HSV last November and they had the same route planned for the Celtic fans (S-Bahn>Shuttle>Stadium). The stations, trains and buses were packed, our train got shunted off the route for about 15 minutes, and it took a good while at Othmarschen to get to the front of the mob and squeeze onto a bus. The journey took every bit of an hour. I'm sure there will be more trains and buses laid on for this, but if there are 15-20,000 of you trying to get out there at the same time it could be a nightmare.

6. Re: Nordbank Arena to the Airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 November 2010, 04:16