We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Toilets in Germany

Scotland
Level Contributor
61 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Toilets in Germany

Just back from Hamburg and was surprised to have to pay to use toilet in department store cafes (no charge in UK). How much should you pay and pay on the way in or the way out?

Thanks

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,983 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Toilets in Germany

>How much should you pay and pay on the way in or the way out?

It's a kind of tip to the cleaners, not a fixed fee - you pay as much as you think fit. Usually you can only determine how much you should pay on the way out.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
16,390 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Toilets in Germany

I found that Germany has the cleanest public restrooms of anywhere that I've been. I looked at what other people did and they seemed to tip up to a half euro, so that's what I did too.

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Riviera Maya, Negril
Level Contributor
16,068 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Toilets in Germany

"I found that Germany has the cleanest public restrooms of anywhere that I've been. I looked at what other people did and they seemed to tip u"

I agree! I generally leave a .50E coin for the person maintaining that level of cleanliness. Oh if it were possible to do that in other countries where I dread the public restrooms.

Larvik, Norway
Level Contributor
398 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Toilets in Germany

The toilets are very clean according to other places. We pay .50E pr.person (the same as in toilets on the Autobahn, where you have to pay)

Edited: 31 July 2010, 15:43
Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
7,835 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Toilets in Germany

FunItaly , most of the autobahn toilelts give print a 50cent voucher out on payment of 50cents, this can be used toward puchases. So they are in fact free

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,935 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Toilets in Germany

I wouldn't exactly call that free, but you do save a little purchasing some of their overpriced items.

Larvik, Norway
Level Contributor
398 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Toilets in Germany

I know that you get the voucher, but I agree with marcopolko, I wouldn't call it free. We seldom buy anything else that gasoline, but the kids want to use the voucher, so it ends up that we have to put in some extra money.... By the way on some stations the price has raised to .70E and the voucher is still on .50E...

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,935 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Toilets in Germany

On our trip last week, I also noticed that many of the places along the autobahns north of Frankfurt now charge 0.70€ but only give you a voucher for 0.50€. You don't have to spend these vouchers immediately, but can use them at other similar stops elsewhere.

Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
7,835 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Toilets in Germany

The vouchers all go towards Lavazza, so to me it is free.

Yes from north of FFM to Oberhausen it is now o.70 € but the coffee is cheaper there! ;-)

10. Re: Toilets in Germany

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 February 2011, 05:16