We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

DB Probe-BahnCard 25 quesion

Lethbridge, Canada
Level Contributor
223 posts
89 reviews
Save Topic
DB Probe-BahnCard 25 quesion

We will be in Germany - between Hamburg and Mannheim for 6 weeks, my husband will be working during the week and I get to play and travel around - then on weekends we will sight see together. When we were there last we thought about the Bahn card - but it was only for a year...when I was just investigating for this trip it looks like there is a trial membership for 25 euros...but the english website is lacking in details. Would someone be able to help me. I see that you have to purchase it by March 31st - that is no problem as we will be arriving around the 17th of April, but how long is the card good for and can I buy it for just this trip, as I saw something that said it was a subscription. Does this mean that I have to renew it or can I just buy it the once? I would want a card for myself and my spouse right? We could not share the one could we? It looks like each person needs a card to get the discount?

Thanks for any help!!! I am so looking forward to my return!!

Donna

Edited: 09 February 2012, 04:43
Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
38,515 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: DB Probe-BahnCard 25 quesion

> but how long is the card good for and can I buy it for just this trip,

If you buy the card for the last possible 1st validity day 31. March 2012 the card is valid 4 months from this date on.

The BahnCard is a subscription. It will be automatically renewed if not canceled at least 6 weeks before it ends. If you cancel as soon you receive the card you have to buy it only once.

> I would want a card for myself and my spouse right?

Yes.

> We could not share the one could we? It looks like each person needs a card to get the discount?

Yes. If you buy a regular BahnCard 25 valid for a year only one has however to pay the full price and the partner can buy a Partner-BahnCard for EUR 39. And if there lives a child (under 18y old) in the household even for just EUR 10. But in your case 2 Probe-BahnCard 25 will be the better deal.

Lethbridge, Canada
Level Contributor
223 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: DB Probe-BahnCard 25 quesion

Oh thank you so much for the information - one more question - can I buy the card at the main train station or is it only available on line - i kind of hate to order it on line and have it mailed to Canada - and risk it not getting here on time and then not having it.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
38,515 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: DB Probe-BahnCard 25 quesion

> can I buy the card at the main train station

Yes. But only until 31. March 2012. Thus no option in your case.

> kind of hate to order it on line and have it mailed to Canada - and risk it not getting here on time and then not having it.

DB asks for 7 work days to ship outside Europe. The BahnCard will be shipped in any case to your address in Canada. At the counter you'll get only a provisional BahnCard. But if you click on "-> To book" at the below link, you'll get a provisional BahnCard as Online-Ticket (e-ticket) as well.

https://fahrkarten.bahn.de/privatkunde/start/start.post;?shopId=212111b_x&lang=en&country=DEU&from_page=meinebahn&scope=meinebahncard

Albeit not compulsory - register before you buy first time.

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
4 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: DB Probe-BahnCard 25 quesion

Hi,

It seems to me that the 4-month BahnCard (Probe BahnCard 25 "1+4") can now be used to give a discount on the tickets of up to 5 people travelling together. According to the Bahn website (the English version): "The Probe BahnCard entitles you to a 25% discount on standard fares and all long-distance saver fares. New: Now with a 25% BahnCard discount for up to four accompanying persons travelling within Germany."

Is my understanding correct or am I missing something?

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
38,515 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: DB Probe-BahnCard 25 quesion

> Is my understanding correct

yes

> or am I missing something?

no.

But keep in mind that also the Probe BahnCard is a subscription. You have to cancel it latest 6 weeks before it expires. Otherwise you'll get a (normal) yearly BahnCard 25. 1+0 = no discounts for co-travellers with this one.

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
4 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: DB Probe-BahnCard 25 quesion

Cool! I wonder if I can cancel the subscription as soon as I get the Probe BahnCard, or would that invalidate the card?

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
4,591 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: DB Probe-BahnCard 25 quesion

You can cancel it as soon as you receive it, that's actually exactly what I'd recommend - that way you can't forget it later on. ;)

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
4 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: DB Probe-BahnCard 25 quesion

Hi

I just tried subscribing for this "trial" card and it says that the first day of validity is April 11th?? Do they mean that this is the expiration date?

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
38,515 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: DB Probe-BahnCard 25 quesion

The Probe BahnCard25 is valid 4 months. Thus if you "just" tried this the 11th April can't be the expiration date. You're asked during the purchasing process for the first date of validity. Default for this field is today.

Take care that a date in Germany will be always in the form dd.mm.yy

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
4 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: DB Probe-BahnCard 25 quesion

By "asked" you mean that I'm supposed to decide ?

If so, for some odd reason the default I'm getting is April 11th and changing the field isn't possible.

Thanks

Get answers to your questions about Hamburg