We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Utrecht to Hamburg - Train

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
141 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Utrecht to Hamburg - Train

Hello! I willl travel from Utrecht to Hamburg by train and would like to get your advice:

1. Is there any nice German town that is worth stopping for a look?

2. I may be in Hamburg in 4 days and would like to have 1-2 day hike around Hamburg. Personally, I prefer some natural scenery that is very different from the city. I don't drive, so the place should be easily accessed by public transportation. Do you have recommended place for hike? Hope the path is well-signed.

Looking forward to hearing from you. Thanks.

Hamburg, Germany
Level Contributor
1,338 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Utrecht to Hamburg - Train

Depending on the train connection you take I suggest Osnabrück and/or Bremen.

If you want to get out of Hamburg for some hiking (you could do some tours directly in Hamburg as in the Alte Land, Blankenese (tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g187331-…) I suggest either going

to the Lüneburg Heath

You can e.g. take a train to Schneverdingen (takes about an hour from Hamburg central station with one change in Buchholz), there are several paths you can take (for more info en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L%C3%BCneburg_Heath, or http://www.lueneburger-heide.de/ google translate hopefully works for you, doesn't properly for me) - also some other villages/towns in that area you can start

or to the Lauenburg Lakes Nature Park. There is an express bus from the underground station Wandsbek-Markt to either Mölln or Ratzeburg (or train via Büchen or Lübeck) - site only available in German but maybe Google helps naturpark-lauenburgische-seen.de/front_conte…

Edited: 07 May 2013, 20:28
Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
141 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Utrecht to Hamburg - Train

Dear Michaela_2404,

Thank you so much for information! The google translation worked okay and it gave me some brief ideas about the areas. It seems that hiking around Schneverdingen or Lauenburg Lakes Nature Park is more exciting than stop at Osnabrück and/or Bremen, given my a bit tight schedule. What do you think?

For Lauenburg Lakes Nature Park, is it 1 day trip enough from Hamburg and back?

Thanks!!

Hamburg, Germany
Level Contributor
1,338 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Utrecht to Hamburg - Train

Bremen is definitely a lovely city and worth a stop/a day trip.

It takes you about an hour to go to the Lauenburg Lakes Nature Park, whether you take the express bus mentioned above (which does not run in the evenings and limited number of journeys during off peak, last journey is around 6pm as far as I recall, better check timetables) or you go by train via Büchen or Lübeck (I suggest though if you go by train go via Büchen as that is cheaper as it is within the HVV network http://www.hvv.de/en/index.php ).

A typical day tour and one I really like would be e.g. a trip around the lake Ratzeburg - ca. 28km. Beautiful views, some lovely little villages.

Again the websites with detailed info I can just find are in German: …jschulze-wenck.de/schleswig-holstein/rundwa…

Shorter distances and the combination with a boat tour from Ratzeburg can be done (for some basic info on Ratzeburg inselstadt-ratzeburg.de/cms/…flyer-eng.pdf but just send them them an e-mail, they speak English, if you need more info).

Additionally there are three long distance walking paths going through the area E 1, E 6 & E 9 (…wikipedia.org/wiki/European_long-distance_p…) and I am sure there should be more info available online about the exact paths etc - so if you fancy more than a day trip you could start in Lübeck and hike to Mölln via Ratzeburg along the Elbe-Lübeck canal and the various lakes, stay a night there and then onwards further south towards Büchen/Lauenburg (though Lauenburg is most probably too far for a day trip) or around Mölln.

The Schaalsee area is a bit difficult to get to without a car.

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
141 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Utrecht to Hamburg - Train

Thank you so much for sharing and I really appreciate it. It gives me more ideas about Hamburg trip and keep in touch.

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
141 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Utrecht to Hamburg - Train

It sounds really great about the hiking options!

Regarding walk around lake Ratzeburg - ca. 28km, is it well signed all the way? I read the website (via google translation) and it impresses me that the beginning part may not be much sign posted. Is it correct? How is the path generally? Does it along the lake OR does it go through some forests and little villages? 28km is long for a day walk, according to my pace. I will split it into 2 days and hopefully can find some accommodation in the nearby village.

Regarding walk from Lübeck to Mölln via Ratzeburg along the Elbe-Lübeck canal and the various lakes sounds very exciting too. Personally, I prefer path that offers natural views (like forests, lakes, etc) and go through little villages. I know that it may be hard to decide, however, do you have any recommendation about which options is better from my personal preference perspective?

Many thanks again in advance for your sharing and advice.

Hamburg, Germany
Level Contributor
1,338 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Utrecht to Hamburg - Train

It is a mix between walking along the lake and passing through villages. 3km north of Ratzeburg (if you hike west of the lake) you pass by the village Einhaus (it looks further away from lake on google maps than it is), further up is Buchholz and Pogeez up to Rothenhusen were you can catch a boat back to Ratzeburg (schiffahrt-ratzeburg.de/index.php/english/ar…) if you fancy just doing half the tour.

East of the lake it is even more rural but more "forest-y" due to the German history as you partly walk along and even cross the former border (but path less close to lake as banks between Rothenhusen and Kalkhütte are wildlife sanctuary). E.g. the village Utecht is in Mecklenburg -Vorpommern. Not sure how well it is signed, I have hiking maps and know the area quite well so kinda know my way around without relying on signs.

A typical day out here as well is combining a boat tour from Lübeck to Rothenhusen, then hike South to Ratzeburg and maybe further to Mölln.

7. Re: Utrecht to Hamburg - Train

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 May 2014, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Hamburg
Recent Conversations