We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip to Hamburg

Tuscany, Italy
Level Contributor
2,165 posts
153 reviews
Save Topic
Trip to Hamburg

Hi there,

I am visiting Hamburg for a couple of days next week, for the first time. I coming in the afternoon and will stay close to Landungsbrücken, so maybe I plan to have an idea of the city by having a ride on boat 62, and then in the evening visit some district. I would like a nice area to have a walk, enjoy architecture and have dinner. Would you suggest Altona and then a quick look on St. Pauli/Reeperbahn (I'm not interested in nightlife, just have an idea of the area)?

The day after (Saturday) I plan to walk over the city, visiting the centre. Since I don't have too much time to spend in the city, I prefer to enjoy by living the streets, instead to be in a hurry to visit lot of places and run from a museum of another. This is my approach for the first time I visit some places (if I like the atmosphere, I come back and focus more on museums and other highlights, and I am sure that I'll come again to Hamburg): I can make an exception by visiting the Kunst und Gewerbe Museum (mainly for the photography section). So the task will be something like living the city like a Hamburg citizen and not as a tourist...do you have some suggestion to make that day?

If I still have time, I am charmed by Blankenese, it looks a nice place. But since it is out of city, do you think it worth a visit? Eventually do you know if there is some boat service going there?

The day after (Sun) I planned to go to Lubeck, but before taking the train, I will like to wake up early and visit the fish-market.

Thanks in advance for any comments and suggestions to improve my plan!

Edited: 26 October 2013, 09:59
New York
Level Contributor
2,391 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip to Hamburg

You ask a lot of good questions. Hamburg doesn't get that many tourist except for the Reperbahn area and high end shopping. It is a terrific but low key city. I recommend the two museums right next to the train station. The museum of decorative artis is also nice. The new Hafenvertel is very impressive. Notice all the canals and waterways around the city. I found some nice, reasonably priced art galleries in Admiralstrasse. I agree about Blankenese and walked several miles along the Elbechausse - very impressive homes and views of the river and the Airbus assembly area. I am sure there are other things to do. I recall going to the botanical garden, but that was decades ago. I have been to Altona and the museum there - good but not worth a special trip. I look forward to seeing others' suggestions. I will be back next year.

Tuscany, Italy
Level Contributor
2,165 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip to Hamburg

Dear RobLaw47, thank you very much for your reply. You gave me a lot of hints to make my trip wonderful, we'll wait from others' suggestions which will be useful for both of us!

New York
Level Contributor
2,391 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip to Hamburg

I misread your comment about museums. Hamburg has good ones, but not on the level with Berlin or Munich. it rains a lot so it's good to know which are worth seeing. Bucerius (publisher of Die Zeit) has one close to the Rathaus. i've walked around the Outer Alster in the snow. Lots of Hamburgers were out drinking at the old stone WC's converted to little bars. Charming if you can stand the cold.

Tuscany, Italy
Level Contributor
2,165 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip to Hamburg

Thanks again RobLaw47. I fully agree with you, I did not consider the eventuality of bad weather.

Hamburg, Germany
Level Contributor
1,338 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip to Hamburg

" Hamburg doesn't get that many tourist except for the Reperbahn area and high end shopping."

What nonsense. Hamburg had e.g. in 2012 10.6 million overnight stays with Munich with 12.4 million not that much more (hamburg-tourism.de/business-presse/…) plus it has a lot more than the Reeperbahn and shopping tourists come to for. We do not need some crappy and dull museums as a selling point.

We have the port, the Speicherstadt etc which is enough to keep tourists busy and entertained.

And what high end shopping??? There is a lot more high end shopping possible and done in Munich than in Hamburg. Yes, you have the usual snob shops near the Binnenalster but there are only a few - a lot more in Munich.

"it rains a lot "

Again nonsense. It actually rains less in Hamburg than e.g. in Munich.

New York
Level Contributor
2,391 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip to Hamburg

I seem to have struck a nerve. I like Hamburg. I like the museums more than some, I guess. As to rain, true, more in Munich. But Munich has 210 more sunny hours than Hamburg. (A Hamburg city official called it the Seattle of Germany.) The German National Tourist Bureau says Munich had 5.1 million foreign overnight stays vs. Hamburg's 1.8. I especially l like the Hanseatic attitudes of restraint, modesty and hard work. I like the way most of th discuss their differences of opinion in a civilized manner.

Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
527 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip to Hamburg

I agree with Michaela_240 in her views about the touristic importance of Hamburg but I find her answer inacceptably rude. As if RobLaw47 had attacked her personally, which is was clearly not the case ... Also, the denomination "crappy and dull" for the museums in Berlin and Munch is quite inappropriate to say the least.

Tuscany, Italy
Level Contributor
2,165 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip to Hamburg

I am enjoying this debate but I will appreciate some suggestions as well :-))

I see weather forecasts are not good for the week end, so I should be ready to spend some time indoor.

A question: at what time do shops close?

I would also like to find some antiques shops and flea market: Fish Market and St. Pauli Night Market are good options?

Peace and love!!

München
Level Contributor
488 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip to Hamburg

Hi,

I really like Hamburg and I am sure you will enjoy it, too. It is sad that you will have bad weather, of course a city is always better in the sun, but there is still a lot to do.

here are some dates of flea markets (Flohmärkte) in Hamburg. The page is just in german. But just press the button "Flohmärkte in Hamburg" or "Fisch- und Wochenmärkte in Hamburg" (Fish-and weekly- market)

hamburg-tourism.de/erleben/shoppen/maerkte-f…

translate with Google

Here some links where you can go shopping.

www.hamburg.de/passagen-strassen

The shops are normally open from monday to saturday from (I guess) 10- 20 o`clock. Sundays closed. But on the 3. November it is open!!!! From 13-18 o`clock. You are lucky!

www.hamburg.de/verkaufsoffener-sonntag

Or go to the Schanzenviertel

www.hamburg.de/schanzenviertel

and get some coffee and cake

hamburg.de/cafes-hamburg/4038370/cafes-schan…

or you could visit the Emigration Museum:

ballinstadt.net/BallinStadt_emigration_museu…

or go to the Schulauer Fährhaus. There all the ships from all over the world will be welcomed with their national anthem. You can watch it and have cafe and cake or something else to eat.

schulauer-faehrhaus.de/willkomm-hoeft-schiff…

I hope you find something you like to do. Have fun in Hamburg.

München
Level Contributor
488 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip to Hamburg

and you should definitivily go to Blankenese. Here are some little charming cafes. You can see I like cake ,-)

www.luehmanns-teestube.de/luehmanns.html

yelp.de/biz/blankeneser-caf%C3%A9-hamburg-2…

www.treppenkraemer.de

and here are some links which helps even more planning:

shopseeing.de/cms/…shopseeing--52.html

and if you want a personal guide for free check Hamburger Greeters:

www.hamburg-greeter.de/it

if you have Problems with the german pages just ask