We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Our Second Visit in August 2013

Which Hamburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,494 posts
529 reviews
Save Topic
Our Second Visit in August 2013

Fun in Hamburg: August 21-28 2013

We had an early morning flight from Charles de Gaulle airport to Hamburg and we were thrilled to see our friends waiting for us.

I had booked a studio ap’t with 9flats.com on Lange Reihe for a week. We adored the area(St. Georg) and the ap’t was just OK. We found ourselves in the midst of restaurants,supermarkets,bus stops, and close to AlsterLake, while it was only a short walk to the museums.

We had great weather in Paris and brought it to Hamburg. What a terrific way to spend our 53rd wedding anniversary with dear friends……..and YES I was a teen-age bride.

We reacquainted ourselves with 4 year old Cosima and met 3 month old “Ferdi Birdi” for the first time. Dinner at our friend’s home was delicious and catching up a delight. The joys of travel: we met this just married couple in Vietnam in 2005 on a HaLongBay junk overnighter and our friendship is deep and caring. They have come to Boulder,CO twice and this is our second jaunt here. Skype is fabulous between visits.

Thursday AM we decided to check out Hamburger KUNSTHALLE. It was 24 euro for both of us and we were glad to spend some time here. We enjoyed most of what we viewed, but we did not respond to the works of the modern contemporary living artists. This gorgeous day was “flying by” and before we knew it we were picked up for an open-air “dinner” of sausage and beer @ the ALSTERPERLE. Lots of people….good vibe….stayed until sunset and then walked back to our ap’t.

The next day we moseyed around Lange Reihe: stopped at an ATM;picked up city maps at hotels and made yet another visit to the supermarket. Since we had to be at our friends at 2:30 PM, we took the #6 bus 3 stops and walked another 3-4 blocks to Winterhuder Weg. We then all went to a HOUSE PARTY. It is a tradition in Germany that when you are building and the roof is on YOU HAVE A PARTY. Lots of people including children, hot dogs, and the yummiest PEA SOUP(a tradition). A really fun time. After being dropped off at our “digs”, we walked to the Lake for sunset.

Saturday we woke to another pretty day. (Can you believe it?) Got to our friends at 11 AM and then we ALL began walking to WINTERHUDE MARKET. The best respite was our stop for ice cream: OMG! DELZEPICH EIS @ Winterhuder 67. I had a double amaretto and there is NO doubt that if I lived close by, I’d be here daily. DH and I intended to at least return once more…..but we never made it. The market was a treat and similar to our Farmer’s market in Boulder,CO. Our family bumped into many of their friends and chatted away. We stopped at a playground close by and then took bus #25 back to their place for another great pasta dinner and wine. But this wasn’t the end of the day. Our male host,DH and I then went off to see the QUEEN MARY 2. What an event! Lots and lots of locals seeing this grand dame off.(Another Hamburg tradition). We walked 5.72 miles today: not bad for someone with severe OA. Cortisone shots and walking sticks work “miracles”. Determination plays a part too.

We were meeting our male host on Sunday AM @10:30 at the Alsterperle and then the three of us walked and walked and walked some more until we arrived at Bobby Reich Marina. Another gorgeous day to walk past beautiful homes. Think Westport or Greenwich,CT. DH and 2 others had more than a great time sailing the Lake. I relaxed at the marina restaurant watching the world go by. Later that evening DH and I ate at VASCO DA GAMA: Lange Reihe 68. We enjoyed our meal and I’ve reviewed it on TA.

Monday’s agenda: Take a ferry on the ELBE. I still do not know why we couldn’t take the ferry to Balkenese. Our last stop was Firkenhauer. That was fine though. We walked a bit at NEUMUHLEN. Back at St. Georg we had 2 huge salads at FRAU MOLLER. Twas definitely delish and value galore. TA reviewed. Got to our friends ap’t @4:30 and after a bit we walked to LIMAN FISCH RESTAURANT for dinner: Muhlenkamp 16. Great neighborhood, OUTSTANDING food. TA reviewed.

Our last day in Hamburg: Tuesday August 27,2013 and …….another pretty day. For whatever reason the ap’t internet was not working today so we “hunkered down” @ BALZAC CAFÉ close by. We also spent about one and one half hours at KUNST UND GEWERBE MUSEUM and salivated over the Steve McCurry exhibition and permanent collection too.

At 5:30 PM our host headed us out to BAUMWALL. Hafen City was interesting but we adored the old warehouse district. Back at the ap’t our host practiced his culinary feats yet again and with Montes red wine we all verbalized how the week was grand and how we cherished our time together,enjoyed the kidlets, the city and certainly looking forward to a not so distant reunion in Boulder,CO.

Early flights on Wednesday took us to Munich first and then Ljubljana to continue another 6 weeks of travel. Just gotta’ get my airline dollars worth.

Hamburg, Germany
Level Contributor
1,338 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Our Second Visit in August 2013

Pleased to read that you enjoyed your time in my hometown!

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,494 posts
529 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Our Second Visit in August 2013

The interesting thing about our visits to Hamburg,,,,,,,,do not think we would have gone there if not for our friends. However, it IS a travel "dirty little secret". It's a wonderful city to explore: the people are friendly, the water a delight,good food,good transportation.

Who could ask for anything more? And it's SO livable.

3. Re: Our Second Visit in August 2013

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 December 2014, 05:18