We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bahn trains

Which Hamburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Topic
Bahn trains

I have been reading about the train system and if you are wanting to use the train not every day there is a regional day ticket (Lander ticket) Do you have to join DB to get a DB card before you can book tickets on line or from a machine. If so do they post overseas to you if you are not a local German.

I am wanting to travel from Hamburg airport to Rotenburg then to Bremen. I have read many negative reports of the Bahn but we will not have rental car due to the nature of our trip.

Looking forward to any suggestions.

Portland, Oregon USA
Level Contributor
2,636 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Bahn trains

DB is an abbreviation of Deutsche Bahn which translates to German Rail. The Bahn cards are only really useful for residents and would not be of much use to a tourist who is only in the country for a short time. You don't need a Bahn card to book tickets.

You can book tickets online, print them out and take the ticket along with you. Also, bring along the credit card you used to buy the ticket and then present both to the ticket collector when asked.

I'm not sure what "negative reports" you've heard, but I've done all my trips using German Rail and have very rarely been disappointed with the service.

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
3,747 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bahn trains

Just print out a "Länderticket" or any other full-price ticket from the machines at the station on the day you need them. It only makes sense to pre-book tickets for long-distance trains, since you can save money that way. But the other tickets are always the same price, so you might just as well print them when you are absolutely sure you are going to take that train (i.e. a couple of minutes before departure).

Well, the negative reports don't come as a surprise to me. I might be one of the people who submitted them, even though I can't remember now. The rail system is very efficient, but the people working there do not have a service mentality. Some are nice (a minority), some just don't care. Local trains are delayed because there is an ICE train on the track, and there will not even be an announcement until a couple of minutes have passed. The train just stops somewhere or doesn't leave the station. Conductors are rude. The air conditioning is either way too cold (in spring, when you are happy about the first sun rays) or doesn't work at all (in summer, with temperatures of over 30 degrees centigrade). On the plane, you get free coffee. On the train, they advertise the coffee you can BUY through their p.a. system. The price is elevated and the person who's selling it is very surly. And so on, and so on. Taking the train is just not a very nice experience, in my opinion. Which is why I try to avoid it when I can and book a flight instead.

But the system is efficient, and if you don't expect good service or friendly staff, you won't be disappointed. Taking the train is better than renting a car, that's for sure, unless you want to go to very rural areas where the connections might not be that good.

Hamburg, Germany
Level Contributor
1,338 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bahn trains

"But the system is efficient, and if you don't expect good service or friendly staff, you won't be disappointed. "

What nonsense. I take the train several times a week and most staff is friendly. And saying that - "What goes around, comes around." comes to my mind.

People who had negative experiences are more likely to write reviews about HOW bad Deutsche Bahn or any other company is.

There are thousands of people with hundreds of trains who take trains every day and for the majority of them all works fine.

If there were as many flights as trains be sure there would as much go wrong - actually for me most of the times I fly with Lufthansa something goes wrong but I would not say it is a bad airline in general.

"On the plane, you get free coffee. " It is not FREE but included in the ticket price. I do not drink e.g. coffee, but I still have to pay for it. Brilliant. And on low budget airlines you usually get nothing for free anymore, even not a checked bag.

There are certain circumstances often - and the same applies for Deutsche Bahn - people commiting suicide, kids not educated properly by their parents throwing stones on the track or even playing on them, livestock on the tracks and so on.

And for OP: Between Hamburg and Bremen Hbf you actually will not have to deal with Deutsche Bahn.

There is another company called Metronom operating on that route - and their staff is really friendly.

And yes, you can buy the ticket on the day for the Niedersachsenticket from the ticket machines at the airport but also online these days and print it out. bahn.de/i/…laender-ticket.shtml

Please note though you can just take regional trains with it - no IC, no ICE trains.

http://www.bahn.de/i/view/GBR/en/index.shtml if you inquire timetables just select" local transport" to get the timetables displayed for the ticket.

Edited: 24 February 2014, 08:27
Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
36,903 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Bahn trains

The Länder-Ticket you'll need to cover your Hamburg - Rotenburg - Bremen is the Niedersachsen-Ticket (Lower-Saxony-Ticket).

bahn.de/i/…lower-saxony-ticket.shtml

You can buy it on spot from a ticket machine. No advantage of buying online in advance. As this ticket comes with no change, no refund buying in advance bears rather some risks. Instead from the ticket machines you can get it for 2 Euro more also at the counters.

Germans are incurable pessimists. A class water is never half full but always half empty. Lamenting about DB (Deutsche Bahn - German Rail) is a kind of national sport in Germany. The last years DB has seen every year new passenger numbers records. Albeit there are more and more routes served by competitors in Germany. Hamburg - Rotenburg - Bremen is by the way one of those routes. The trains on this route are served by Metronom, not DB.

http://www.der-metronom.de/

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
5,141 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bahn trains

I haven't been traveling by train for several years due to similar experiences as discribed by Petra, but I was positively surprised when I had to take a train from Frankfurt to Stuttgart and back to Frankfurt. Things seem to have improved.

CT
Level Contributor
216 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Bahn trains

German people seem to be incurable pessimists only about Germany, aber this is a topic for another forum...

As others have already advised, buy your tickets at the stations, themselves. Regarding the DB, itself, the train service in Deutschland is efficient und serves a great deal of Deutschland, as opposed to only major metropolitans (as is the case in some nations). Service issues are not any worse than in most countries, in my experience, thus far.

Enjoy und have a wonderful visit in Deutschland. Cheers!

Level Contributor
26 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bahn trains

i've been travelling with DB train from Vienna to Munich, i bought the ticket online, paid by credit card. i only bring the printed ticket, the ticket was checked twice by the officer along the journey, u also need to show your credit card for verification. the train was on schedule.

fully satisfied.

8. Re: Bahn trains

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 May 2015, 05:15