We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vegetarian Meals in Germany

Kent
Level Contributor
74 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Vegetarian Meals in Germany

I have so much trouble travelling (and not being good at languages) in ordering good local vegetarian meals - any ideas of some good hearty veggie meals to order in Hamburg - and advice some good on restauarants to try where they offer a good veggie option ?

(don't really want to go with the cheese omlette option everytime)

Thanks so much all

Peak District...
Level Contributor
1,921 posts
268 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vegetarian Meals in Germany

In Austria my wife was delighted with the Bunte Gemuseplatte which is a huge pile of various veg well cooked and presented. It often comes with a Speigelei (fried egg). There are also various pasta, Gnocchi were particularly filling. I have seen relatively little of bean cookery in Germany, you may get green beans but I haven't seen the various protein beans much. (Bohnen is the word for beans, and the word for Vegetarian is similar but not identical - Vegetarische (veggy tare isher ) or similar so you will probably be understood both culturally and verbally).

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,749 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vegetarian Meals in Germany

In the south of Germany wherever I've eaten, be it a small village or a large city, typical or deluxe, there has always been a selection of 2-8 vegetarian dishes on the restaurant's menu. There are also other dishes that would suit a vegetatarian such as some salads, kaesespaetzle (cheese with noodles), and possibly other dishes. If you eat fish, there should also be a good assortment of fish on the menu.

Then there is always Italian restaurants with possible pizza and pasta options. You won't be forced to eat just cheese omelets.

Hamburg, Germany
Level Contributor
412 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vegetarian Meals in Germany

Hi Ummy

A very good vegetarian restaurant in Hamburg is the Tassajara in Eppendorfer Landstrasse 4.

Another one is Gopalam (Indian cuisine) in Grindelallee 159, 20146 Hamburg.

However, most Restaurants do have a vegetarian categoy on their menu so you shouldn't have difficulties identifying the vegetarian meals.

A restaurant I really like and that does also have very good vegetarian meals on the menu is the "Marinehof" in Admiralitätsstrasse 77, 20459 Hamburg.

All 3 restaurants are located in interesting parts of Hamuburg.

In the Eppendorfer Landstraße there are quite a lot excuisite but nevertheless not too expensive shops.

The Grindelallee is near the university of Hamburg where you can find quite a lot of small coffee shops, restaurants etc. and of course many students.

From the Admiralitätsstrasse you can take a nice walk down to the harbour or to the Michel - the most famous church in Hamburg.

4. Re: Vegetarian Meals in Germany

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 August 2009, 20:20
Get answers to your questions about Hamburg