We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hamburg-berlin

scotland
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Topic
hamburg-berlin

Going to Hamburg in May. Any advice on the best way to get to Berlin, bus/train timesand fares? Thanks.

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,885 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: hamburg-berlin

train: www.bahn.de

bus: www.berlinlinienbus.de

Berlin and Hamburg are the only pair of cities in Germany with regular log distance bus transportation between them.

norrköping
Level Contributor
4 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: hamburg-berlin

i wonder if you got any tips how to get from hamburg to berlin that is not gonna cost a fortune? the train seems to be very expensive and as im going there in mars i would like to get some tips.

did you find anything?

thanx in advance :)

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
38,176 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: hamburg-berlin

Cheapest is by bus, already linked in the 1st answer.

http://www.berlinlinienbus.de/pdfs/hh.pdf

Normal tickets are EUR 24,00.

Special from EUR 9,00. But nearly impossible for a tourist to get them. You have to book at least a week in advance and this is only possible at travel agencies (from footprint 3)).

Seat reservation is compulsory.

Travel time is 3:10.

ICE trains need 1:30. EUR 62,00.

IC/EC trains need 2 hours. EUR 50,00.

Frequent travellers have however a BahnCard 50. 50% = EUR 31,00 (IC EUR 25,00). And you're much faster, the ICE are much more comfortable. And seat reservation is not compulsory. And these normal tickets are fully flexible.

For travellers between 13. January and 28. February the DB Winter-Special offer is a good deal. Any trip inside Germany from EUR 29,00. As usual this offer is limited in numbers (800.000 tickets). You must book at least 3 days in advance (but earlier is better). These special tickets are also only for the booked connection. Best to book online through the DB timetable. At DB counters and travel agencies this special ticket is EUR 5,00 more expensive.

Sale starts on 10. January.

There have been also "Spring-Specials" in the past years. But if this year and/or details are not known yet. At peak times (e.g. Christmas, Easter) special offers are generally unlikely.

norrköping
Level Contributor
4 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: hamburg-berlin

awsome!

thanx! you ve been a big help!

:)

Omaha, Nebraska
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: hamburg-berlin

We bought tickets for the bullet train from the main train station in Hamburg. It was about an hour and a half train ride to Berlin. We left pretty early in the mornig and came back on the last train, so we had a full day there. Not sure what it cost b/c the parents paid for the tickets, i'm a bum, i know. Oh yeah, if you're looking for a really cool, upbeat, informative tour of East Berlin, we found a free tour online! They meet in front of the Dunkin Donuts across the street from the main Berlin Train Station. It's free, so they work for tips. It was the most rad tours I've ever been on! I believe they meet in front of the Starbucks at Brandenburg Gate too. Can't remember the name of the tour company though. Try google-ing it. That's how we found it. p.s. it's a walking tour, so wear comfy shoes.

6. Re: hamburg-berlin

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 August 2009, 07:17