We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

disabled ID card???

Level Contributor
442 posts
81 reviews
Save Topic
disabled ID card???

I have been researching activities for our upcoming Germany trip and see that many attractions offer discounts for the disabled, with proper ID. I am American and I do have a disabled person ID card from our state DMV (Dept of Motor Vehicles). Would that suffice, or is there a Germany-issued card that I would need to get?

I am hoping that such attractions also offer good services for the disabled, as I often cannot stand for very long or walk very far before needing to sit down if I'm having a rough day (or to prevent a rough day).

Thanks for any help. I haven't had much luck finding this info elsewhere online so far.

25 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
442 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: disabled ID card???

Also...will my Virginia handicap parking tag (it's a hang tag, so I can take it with me) be honored in Germany? I had no trouble using it in St. Martin so I am hoping it'll be sufficient in Germany as well.

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
5,135 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: disabled ID card???

Your parking tag will most likely not be honored, you can try to get discounts with your ID card. German disabled person cards and tags are only issued for German residents.

Level Contributor
442 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: disabled ID card???

Thanks. I just emailed the German Embassy in Washington, DC to see if there's a tag that can be issued to a visitor. I am far more concerned about the parking issue than discounts, which are a nice perk but not essential!

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
5,135 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: disabled ID card???

It takes residents ages to get such a tag, don't set your hopes too high (I have a disabled son and know what I am talking about)

Frankfurt
Level Contributor
543 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: disabled ID card???

Two links that may be helpful:

…angloinfo.com/healthcare/…

internationaltransportforum.org/IntOrg/…G

Theoretically there is reciprocal recognition of IDs but according to the second link this has not been implemented in Germany. I wouldn't take the risk of getting a fine or being towed away.

Level Contributor
442 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: disabled ID card???

Yeah, that's what I'd learned too, that Germany was one of the countries not honoring outside placards. That's really not cool, especially since on their official tourism site, they have a section devoted to "barrier-free travel." Most disappointing!

Sorry to hear about how that's affected you, Quiltneedle. Here in the U.S., you can get an immediate temporary tag if your doctor fills out the form, and the permanent one arrives a few weeks later. I specifically got the hang tag because we don't always travel in my car, and it has worked in other countries.

If I hear something positive back from the embassy, or I otherwise get a solution figured out, I'll post back here! Thanks again!

Berlin, Germany
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: disabled ID card???

Dear stranger,

I don't know if my reply is going to be helpful, but, I shall try and answer some of your post as I am a disabled person living in Germany.

I have in my possession a German DIsability photo-ID-card. It states the percentage/grade of your disability. I, for instance, am 90% disabled. Some people havem addidional to their percentage also a 'LETTER' indicating all kinds of addidional physical restrictions and will let you use free public transport and in some cases even for any accompanying person.

I do believe you have more or less unrestricted parking, but, I am not sure as I have no need for a car and try to cycle when I can.

The state-run museums are indeed free, there is reduced rates in cinemas and on all other museums. The card also entitles you in some cases (depending on the degree and the addidional letter on you rid) to free pay-toilets, which able-bodied persons must pay for and entitled disabled get a key for.

Now, I don't know when you are planning to come to Germany or if you have already been. But, if you'd like me to, I could find out for you what you are entitled to as a US citizen or if you are able to apply for a German ID, although I am pretty sure you'd have to be a resident and Germans are known for their love-affair with bereaucracy, so, gettign anywhere soon on obtaining such an ID is unlikely.

Holders of any EU disability ID have all kinds of benefits all over the EU. Last time I was in Paris for instance, I could just whisk into ANY museum for free, but I don't know if I would have had any other benefits.

Still... I could try and find out for you if you'd like me to.

All the best. greetings.

John Rutherford.

8. Re: disabled ID card???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 05 December 2015, 10:36

Level Contributor
442 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: disabled ID card???

Thanks, John! We already went, in January, but since we are contemplating moving there in a few years, this is very helpful info. I'm sorry to hear that Germans are unsympathetic to the disabled. As we explored, though, I could see that it would be practically impossible to get around many areas in a wheelchair (luckily, I have not gotten to that point but I am afraid I will one day). The cobblestone streets on the Hauptstrasse in Altstadt Heidelberg would be impossible to navigate with one. What was interesting, though, as much trouble as I have with walking and also climbing stairs at home, I was able to walk quite a bit in Germany, in drizzly low-40s temps, and even climb dozens of castle stairs without pain.

I will be saving your post for future reference. This is really good info. If I do move to Germany or elsewhere in Europe, I will definitely start the process immediately to get my disabled ID card. Thanks again!!

Level Contributor
442 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: disabled ID card???

Actually, now that I think of it, there was sloped access on streets in Frankfurt and in Heidelberg. Maybe Berlin doesn't have them as much as other areas?

Reply to: disabled ID card???
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted