We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Europcar rental-Gutlerstrasse Frankfurt branch-Beware!

Satellite Beach...
Level Contributor
19 posts
118 reviews
Save Topic
Europcar rental-Gutlerstrasse Frankfurt branch-Beware!

We rented from this europcar branch in May 2008-When we returned it, we had a paint scratch on the rear bumper-We filled out the damage report-The guy behind the desk did not offer us a copy of the accident report-My husband prevailed and we got one. He made us a light copy(unreadable) to get rid of us! We think he pushed the lighten up button on PURPOSE. So, no insurance company anywhere could read that report! Anyway, one month later, back in the USA, we get a Europcar bill from their main office in Hamburg for approx. 1,000 dollars-This was an attempt at outright insurance fraud! for a paint scratch! We called our insurance company, spent 2 hours on the phone(Yes, you Aussies were right-it is TRENCH WARFARE! Too bad we did not read all the tripadvisor forums on Europcar BEFORE we rented, but we had never had a problem before this one time-We have rented with them for 20 years-never had any damage, though. We told our insurance company STATE FARM, that we think that Europcar should be investigated for insurance fraud-we hope they follow through. We are NOT going to pay this bill, or EVER rent from europcar again-they are a predatory bunch-If ANYTHNG goes wrong, they go for the Jugular-Maybe Each office gets a kick back from the local auto repair shops-It is like dealing with the Mafia. My husband is a lawyer, so we hope they will not get away with it this time-he is persistant and angry-We travel to europe twice a year. Europcar has not heard the end of this from us.

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
1,004 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Europcar rental-Gutlerstrasse Frankfurt branch-Beware!

Very sorry to hear that! Fight for your right and keep us posted on any updates or new developments, please.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
37,541 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Europcar rental-Gutlerstrasse Frankfurt branch-Beware!

Don't want to spoil the party, but have a look e.g. into this (in German):

wer-weiss-was.de/theme107/article3611001.html

A discussion about the costs of a scratch in the bumper. OP complains about the costs of EUR 600 for a complete repainting.

résumé:

- OP should be quite happy with this price

- up to EUR 1000 is normal with an authorized repair shop (and a rental company won't go anywhere else)

- one points to a discussion were such a repaint was even EUR 1400

- if you check with independent repair shops you can get it for EUR 400

of course if you want privately not to repaint the whole bumper or find somebody who makes a moonlight repainting you can have it for (a lot) less.

The standard in Germany nowadays to "repair" such a scratch is *sadly* to completely repaint the bumper. And the price for this charged by the rental company is absolutely inside the norm. Even rather on the lower side.

1000 USD ~ EUR 640

Paradise, California
Destination Expert
for Rhineland-Palatinate
Level Contributor
6,313 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Europcar rental-Gutlerstrasse Frankfurt branch-Beware!

"Too bad we did not read all the tripadvisor forums on Europcar BEFORE we rented, but we had never had a problem before this one time-We have rented with them for 20 years-never had any damage, though.... We are NOT going to pay this bill, or EVER rent from europcar again"

I've never had a problem with Europcar either. But the reports from travelers on this sort of thing are too numerous to shake off. I don't think it's just Europcar. I rented from Avis a few years back and the guys there were very shady. Before driving off, I had to initiate the inspection and I had to point out the obvious dings and scratches on my rental just to get them recorded.

For many, many other reasons as well, I've pretty much decided never to rent a car in Europe again, from any agency. This sort of abuse is something you really don't want to worry about while you're on vacation.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,663 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Europcar rental-Gutlerstrasse Frankfurt branch-Beware!

I always use my former employer's special deals which they have with several rental car agencies around the world as insurance is then included automatically in the already fairly cheap quoted rate. Then I don't have to spend a long time checking the car for pre-existing damage, which most will have in some form or other if they aren't almost brand new. (The cost of even very minor repairs are astronomical anywhere in the world if you use an auto dealership, but all such very minor damage normally would never be repaired, at least not by a dealership.)

I had a rental company try to pull something similar in Vancouver, Canada a number of years ago on what had to be some small pre-existing damage, but it then didn't really affect me, and I realized it was a scam from the way he reacted after finding what my rental agreement entitled me to. I also believe he stalled on coming up with a car originally so we would be much less likely to check it out thoroughly after waiting an hour for our car with no other customer around, our being anxious to leave.

Most places in the US they hardly check the cars when returned, so to an American any such charges for normal usage are a scam. Do you really have any control against someone banging the side of your rental car while opening their cardoor when parked? Then the rental car company should spend more money to provide the protection on such possible damage if they are so concerned about it.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Europcar rental-Gutlerstrasse Frankfurt branch-Beware!

I am currently embroiled in a similar scam with Europcar in Adelaide, Australia, where the vehicle was inspected when returned, passed as fine, then mysteriously had a dent in the bumper the next day after I was back home, for which they charged $1200 to my credit card! The fee was charged before telling me, and I was told no-one could reverse it. This after the first car I had hired broke down, and I had to go 500 km out of my way, at my time & expense, to replace!

From research on this site it appears that Europcar do this type of thing on a world-wide basis, and that they particularly prey on those who don't pay the extra insurance money. Also, if a car has numerous dents like the original one I hired had, how many times can they claim the excess before actually doing something to repair the car? That first vehichle had 5 marks on it noted on the rental agreement - I believe they would collected on each one.

6. Re: Europcar rental-Gutlerstrasse Frankfurt branch-Beware!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2009, 06:19