We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ramstein Air Base to Garmisch (Edelweiss Resort/Lodge)

Europe
3 posts
Save Topic
Ramstein Air Base to Garmisch (Edelweiss Resort/Lodge)

Any suggestions on the best way to get from the Ramstein Air Base to Garmisch (Edelweiss Resort/Lodge) on a Friday in the early evening? I am meeting my family there. They are coming from the states. I will be on my mid-tour R & R Leave from a deployment.

I am thinking a train would be the simplest and have checked the German Rail website (www.bahn.de). Is Landstuhl the best jumping off point? If so, I presume I can easily hop on a taxi to get to the station. Any one have thoughts on the best taxi service?

Also, if anyone has any recommendations on what we should do for 2 weeks in the summer in the Garmisch area, please let me know. I would greatly appreciate it. We want to relax some and also see some good sights and have some good eats.

Thank you very much.

Dayton, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,163 posts
299 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ramstein Air Base to Garmisch (Edelweiss Resort/Lodge)

If you're on R&R, I can arrange for somebody to give you a ride to the train station. Everybody there is willing to help, even if you're not USAF. Let me know by PM and I can hook you up.

Frankfurt
Destination Expert
for Frankfurt
Level Contributor
5,841 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ramstein Air Base to Garmisch (Edelweiss Resort/Lodge)

Have you checked the Edelweiss website yet? I believe they will have all kinds of activities available to their guests. It is a beautiful hotel, very comfortable rooms and the scenery is gorgeous, especially the Zugspitz right in front of the door.

Florida
Level Contributor
1,356 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ramstein Air Base to Garmisch (Edelweiss Resort/Lodge)

Dave, are you staying at the Edelwiess Lodge? They will have tons of tours and activities there for you. Great info and help at the front desk and in the gift shop. Their tours are all paid with US dollars so that helps. We stay at the cabins and love it there, more quiet. I always say go into Partenkirchen, bus runs outside the front gate. The places to eat are great there. The gorge is a great walk and there are so many close towns that you can visit. Mittenwald is one and the train can take you there or into Innsbruck.

Henderson Nv.
9 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Ramstein Air Base to Garmisch (Edelweiss Resort/Lodge)

Dave

My wife and I stayed there A little over four year ago for for a total of 11 days and never ran out of things to do or see the tour are great and the staff are GREAT.

Poplew

Europe
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Ramstein Air Base to Garmisch (Edelweiss Resort/Lodge)

I sincerely appreciate the offer for a ride to the train station. I am not looking at leave until June or maybe even July. I'd hate to inconvenience anyone and can just hop in a taxi especially since I understand now that the train station is not too distant from Ramstein. Thanks again for the offer.

Europe
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Ramstein Air Base to Garmisch (Edelweiss Resort/Lodge)

I have indeed and it looks like there are many choices. Thanks.

7. Re: Ramstein Air Base to Garmisch (Edelweiss Resort/Lodge)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 October 2009, 02:20